Can we talk custom actions?

In another post, I asked the community for input on components for a custom build. I stated that I figured I was going to use a Rem700, but a few members mentioned that I should go custom. I have never researched custom actions. My research has made me realize that everyone has a different idea of what the best "value" custom action is. So now, throughly confused, I need help again.

the goal of my build is a lightweight 260 Rem with a carbon fiber barrel and a Grayboe Trekker (non-negoiatble). I'm looking for a good value lightweight short action in a Rem700 footprint. I was going to do a Remage barrel, but I think I'll just get a prefit if I'm going custom. I really want to be around $750 with trigger and rail if possible. Overall budget for the build is around $2k. Would love to hear opinions.
If $750 is your budget for a Custom Action then you should look at the MackBros action, $575, a fantastic buy. You would need to call them and get on the list for their next batch. I've used 3 of them and they're very good. Or if you up your budget some you could look at a Defiance Tenacity, Gunwerks GRB, or a Kelbly Atlas. Any of those 4 are all quality actions. The Gunwerks does not include a rail anymore though.
The pics below are 2 rifles built with MacBros actions.

098549F9-7CFA-4EAA-8F6A-ADA1DC086890.jpeg
EE2E24DE-C79A-400C-AF4B-1CE019D8DFEC.jpeg
FB0D8259-2103-45BF-8F9E-F44DEFD05D13.jpeg
36B1487F-8C0B-48E0-A304-7A747F06D4E3.jpeg

With a Kelbly Atlas and some others you can buy prefit shouldered barrels and bypass the gunsmith and save money by assembling everything your self. You would need a barrel vise (about $75) and sometimes headspace gauges (which you can rent for about $15 plus shipping).

I built the 308 below using a Kelbly Atlas, no Smith needed. Barrel from Preferred Barrel Blanks. Shoots 5 shot bug holes. 18" barrel and the same stock you're wanting to use.

46A943CF-19B0-4356-907F-18CC49DF1428.jpeg
330E4266-26E0-44A5-8B40-8359D6B22F4A.jpeg

With a Kelbly Atlas and some others you can buy prefit shouldered barrels and bypass the gunsmith and save money by assembling everything your self. You would need a barrel vise (about $75) and sometimes headspace gauges (which you can rent for about $15 plus shipping).

I built the 308 below using a Kelbly Atlas, no Smith needed. Barrel from Preferred Barrel Blanks. Shoots 5 shot bug holes. 18" barrel and the same stock you're wanting to use.

View attachment 326796View attachment 326797
I love the look of that rifle! Luckily, I have all the tools for this build, except the action wrench. How do you like the stock?

View attachment 326796View attachment 326797
Is that one of the Taperless barrels they offer?

To go along with Megastink(?)
What do individual lightweight actions weigh...cause a std rem action is gonna leave ya with a 9# rifle at best.....
Weight/cost.....
I'm kinda figuring similarly....but long action std bolt face...65284...
I have an old model 700 .308 Win Varmint Special with the barrel cut down to 20" in a Magoul Stock and it weighs 9lbs. I am sure that a lighter gun is possible if you choose wisely. This thing shoots great for a hunting rifle out to 500 yards.

I have owned 4 700's that all shot sub MOA stock.I know competition shooters that shoot tiny one holes with trued 700's with aftermarket barrels. Custom actions are great too. Some guys like Tikka and Savage actions. Good advice on here.

Lots of PRS guys build their rifles on Tikka action. Buy a used Tikka rifle, sell the stock and barrel and build whatever you want. Tikka has some awesome set triggers, you may get lucky.

I eschew 90 degree bolt lifts and thus 2 lug bolts in favor of 3 lug bolts. The only "Remington footprint" action I know of with 3 lugs is a GA Precision Tempest - for a mere $1,380. so definitely out of your budget.

Perhaps, as suggested above, truing a used action is your best bet.

If you already have the 700 action, you have 2 primary choices. You're gonna buy a trigger for either option so that's a moot point.
1) pay the gunsmith to true yours up when they install the barrel.
2) sell the action and use the money gained to buy a custom.
This was my exact situation a couple years back and I took option 2 and never looked back. Added that cash to my budget and bought a Terminus Zeus ... best gun related decision I've ever made!