Can I chamber my 30-06 into a magnum?

SmoakAllen

I have a remington 700 chambered in 30-06. Is it possible to chamber it in a .257 weatherby mag or any mag for that matter or no?

Yes -you can .

A gunsmith can open up the boltface to accept the ultra-mag diameter cartridge ,or the bigger 338 lapua.

The ole 30-06 can become a 338 edge and whack moose at 1200yds. just takes a few greenbacks.

Hmm the 338 Lapua is on the fuzzy edge for the 700. My Smith would not do it. I got one of the new big Predators for that one.

There are a few smiths that do not want to use a M-700 action to build a 338 Laupa on,but there are more that will, a short list of those that do George Gardner,Shawn Carlock,Kirby Allem.Chriss Mathews...to name a few
I built my 338 Laupa on the M-700 Action,because it is easier to go to a detachable box mag.that will take a 3.9" OAL cartridge.No bolt stop issues

Here is a picture of mine

PARKER338LM-1.jpg

M-700 Action, ABS Carbon Wrapped barrel 30" long Rem Sendero stock and 5.5X22X50 NXS scope total package 11.6 pounds........
thumb.gif

You need to rebarrel not rechamber,if you rechamber to .257 it will rattle down a 30 cal barrel...

lengh of what? If you mean the action it should fit the long action.I thought you were asking about the .257weatherby

So the length of the 30-06 will handle a .257 STW?

The action would have to be opened up ,you would be money ahead to start with a 375 H&H action as it is already opened up.... It would also need a longer magazine... All of this can be done,it just cost money.... To go to any 30-06 length mag cartridge will only require the bolt face to be opened to accomedate the larger rim of the bigger, not longer round

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.