Can I convert 30-06 mountain rifle to 300 RUM?

Smoak352

I have a model 700 mountain rifle in 30-06 that I want to convert to a 300 RUM. I am replacing the stock with a HS-Precision or McMillan stock. My question is, can I use the long action for the 300 RUM and will I need to replace the magazine? I am trying to decide if I should build on this rifle or sell and start with a Sendero.

Thanks

You'll need to have some work done on the bolt to open it up for the larger RUM case. That usually means removing some material and installing a different extractor such as a Sako style. A lot of people prefer that type of extractor anyway so forking out cash for that may not be a big deal. Other than that the action will work great. I'm not sure about the magazine.

if im not mistaken the older 06 mountain rifles are 22 inch barrels and the newer ones are 24. Both a bit short for the ultra mag

Sale the mountain rifle and use the money to help get what you want is my advice. You will have much more money in trying to build off the mountain rifle than what a Sendero in 300 Rum will cost and the Sendero just may not need anything done to it. Most Sendero's I have shot really shoot well.

Sale the mountain rifle and use the money to help get what you want is my advice. You will have much more money in trying to build off the mountain rifle than what a Sendero in 300 Rum will cost and the Sendero just may not need anything done to it. Most Sendero's I have shot really shoot well.

I agree with RT... No sense in spending all that money re-engineering the wheel. Just go buy a factory Sendero in .300 RUM.

With handloads it should shoot atleast 1 MOA, but in my experience, they always shoot much better than that (¼-½ MOA) if you do your part, and with quality tuned and tested handloads.

I have a model 700 mountain rifle in 30-06 that I want to convert to a 300 RUM. I am replacing the stock with a HS-Precision or McMillan stock. My question is, can I use the long action for the 300 RUM and will I need to replace the magazine? I am trying to decide if I should build on this rifle or sell and start with a Sendero.

Thanks

You need a new barrel $400
You need to open your bolt face $165
You need another extractor- $135

All that and you may have to open your magazine well to accommodate your new case length. Depending on your rifle.

Other gunsmiths may cut a better deal doing all the work together. That's what they get locally.

You need a new barrel $400
You need to open your bolt face $165
You need another extractor- $135

All that and you may have to open your magazine well to accommodate your new case length. Depending on your rifle.

Other gunsmiths may cut a better deal doing all the work together. That's what they get locally.
Going from .30-06 to a RUM caliber, he will most definitely have to machine out the feed rails in the bottom of the action, too. There's no question about that.

Also, don't forget he will need a RUM magazine box, follower, and spring. - $150 + machine work to open feed rails.

OK,

I was going to replace the barrel anyway. Shooting a 300RUM out of a 22" barrel would basically be a flame thrower LOL.

OK, so that is too much, hopefully I can get $600-$700 for the Mountain rifle.

Thanks!

Smoak- not sure what you can get for it. i like my 30-06 mtn rifle as well or better than my sendero.

by getting an sps and selling the stock and barrel you should havethe correct magazine ect ending up with the action you want.

Going from .30-06 to a RUM caliber, he will most definitely have to machine out the feed rails in the bottom of the action, too. There's no question about that.

Also, don't forget he will need a RUM magazine box, follower, and spring. - $150 + machine work to open feed rails.

Oh yeah. Forgot that. I guess he could always get a rat tailed file and fix that! Lmfao!

Our hobby sure is expensive!!!

One more question...

Does remington select the best receivers with the tightest tolerances for the Senderos? What is more accurate other than the stock?

One more question...

Does remington select the best receivers with the tightest tolerances for the Senderos? What is more accurate other than the stock?

I would like to think they pick their tightest spec and highest quality components for their upper end rifles...But I don't know that for sure. I say that because I've never seen a Sendero that wouldn't shoot good. Not saying it hasn't happened, just saying I've never seen it happen.

One more question...

have several 700 with both factory and krieger barrels, and a one hart. i would get and action and put a barrel on it. 45$ barrel vs 450$ barrel installed, is like a 2500$ engine vs 25000$ engine . they perform better. cost a little more.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.