Calling bears in Idaho

Discussion in 'Bear Hunting' started by jballeau1689, Jan 11, 2014.

1. jballeau1689

jballeau1689 Member

Anyone have any info on calling black bears in the spring? Looking for a decent fawn in distress call.

Also, can anyone help me as to when the deer and elk drop their calves? Do the two fawns make different noises?

Thanks for the help guys

Justin

2. Catahoula

Catahoula Well-Known Member

I have been trying to call bears both spring & fall for about 12 years. Never have had it work. Called in a lion, a wolf & several coyotes but no bears. Lots of hunters kill bears by calling though.
    If you get it figured out let me know your secret!
    Kirk

3. gillettehunter

gillettehunter Well-Known Member

Had a show on TV the other day. Bowhunting in NE Idaho along the Henry's Fk. They were using a dying rabbit call. Didn't get one on the show, but showed a pic of the hunter with a bear he got a week later.
    Fawn calls can be effective at times. I'm not that far from you and fawns usually drop 3rd week of May to 2nd week of June in our area for deer and antelope. Bruce

4. hammertyme

hammertyme Well-Known Member

Rabbit/hare calls in my case are very effective in calling in bear.

The key is stay with it. That distress call is something that No predator can refuse and every one of them will come to a distress call if they are around.

The key is they must be where you are calling. It works on brown bear as well is my experience.

5. jballeau1689

jballeau1689 Member

I'm ordering some calls for the hunt and i'm gonna mess around with them. If i spot one, i'll call to it and let you guys know what happens. if i'm able to i'll even record some of it and post it for everyone. appreciate the info as always. thanks a lot

Justin

6. Big Thunder

Big Thunder Member

What part of the state are you planning on hunting?

7. ducmarc

ducmarc Well-Known Member

my dad used to use the dying rabbit for foxes years an years ago he said it worked great on panthers too which unnerved his beagle never said how it did on bears.

8. jballeau1689

jballeau1689 Member

Big Thunder, I'm heading to units 10&12. I have a few areas someone pointed me towards in unit 12 that I'm going to try.