Caliber questions

Ok that theory makes me ask the question why only Remington and not the tikkas etc...

Is it because they're easily modified or availability of parts or both.

Ok that theory makes me ask the question why only Remington and not the tikkas etc...

I would say it is mostly the availability of parts. Seems like there is more work being done with the Tikkas now than there was a couple of years ago.

Steve

There are several things regarding the Remington vs. any other as a platform for builds.

• Availability of "parts", mostly stocks and triggers.
  • Ease of fitting a barrel. Once the tenon is cut and fitted to the bolt nose spacing, the smith is done. There is no fiddly torquing the barrel, marking the extractor cut out (push feed) or other little after fitted and chambered machining to do. Which means less setups.
  • Sheer numbers.
  • Cost of donors for first builds.
  • Smith's owners familiarity with platform.
  • Once setup with R700 format, owners stay with that and go for higher end clones.

There are several things regarding the Remington vs. any other as a platform for builds.

• Availability of "parts", mostly stocks and triggers.
  • Ease of fitting a barrel. Once the tenon is cut and fitted to the bolt nose spacing, the smith is done. There is no fiddly torquing the barrel, marking the extractor cut out (push feed) or other little after fitted and chambered machining to do. Which means less setups.
  • Sheer numbers.
  • Cost of donors for first builds.
  • Smith's owners familiarity with platform.
  • Once setup with R700 format, owners stay with that and go for higher end clones.
+10000
He hit it exactly.
Anything that gets IMPROVED will be limited by AFTERMARKET SUPPORT.
I used to drag race at a pretty high level and the Chevy was the REMMY of motors. Building a Ford was like building a Savage. Building a Pontiac was like building a Tikka.
If the aftermarket doesn't build parts, YOU CAN"T UPGRADE unless you wanna build the parts yourself......$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I kinda thought so but wasn't sure. Its looking like a race between a scendero, 5r, and a savage lap. A 260 into a ai with a 26 inch barrel for more rpm. Do I go new or gently used.

I read something today that said you still have to ed and free float a aluminium bed chassis. What's the purpose of a aluminium bed chassis then. Or did I read wrong, these are the things that make me scratch my head.

Oh I have a savage bmag and the stock is so bad that it makes me leery or their products.

I read something today that said you still have to ed and free float a aluminium bed chassis. What's the purpose of a aluminium bed chassis then. Or did I read wrong, these are the things that make me scratch my head.

A chassis is just another stock system. Unless it is specifically custom fitted for your action, you would want to capitalized on improving it's accuracy potential as much as you can.

I have an XLR element chassis on my custom rifle; even though it is made for my action, my gunsmith still bedded on areas he felt requires it.

The Remington 700 far and away is the most popular bolt action centerfire in North America and as such a vast array of aftermarket upgrades are available for it and pretty much every gunsmith in NA is experienced at working with and on them.

The Remington 700 far and away is the most popular bolt action centerfire in North America and as such a vast array of aftermarket upgrades are available for it and pretty much every gunsmith in NA is experienced at working with and on them.

It's so good to hear you talking like this Rose... I knew all it would take is a good-shooting 5R to rebuild your faith that Remington can still put out a solid product. :cool:

It's so good to hear you talking like this Rose... I knew all it would take is a good-shooting 5R to rebuild your faith that Remington can still put out a solid product. :cool:
It hasn't really. The troubles that so many of us have had with Remington and specifically the 700 action don't take away from the fact it's by far the most popular bolt platform in NA based on sheer numbers.

It hasn't really. The troubles that so many of us have had with Remington and specifically the 700 action don't take away from the fact it's by far the most popular bolt platform in NA based on sheer numbers.

Remember, I haven't had all trouble-free Remingtons myself...But I also don't expect much from ANY factory rifle, after my Accumark and all that crap I went through.

That 5R in .260 would be looking pretty sweet to me for shooting targets out to 500. I would shoot 120-129 grain bullets for that kind of distance, which will kick noticeably less than the 140-143 grainers. Between me and my buddies we have 4 5Rs and one Sendero. They all shoot great, but I've noticed the heavier chamberings benefit more from bedding. The .308s seem to do pretty well with just a trigger upgrade and I assume it would be the same for the .260. We had no problem getting the .308s to shoot 3/4 moa with factory ammo and I'm sure we could do quite a bit better with handloads. The .300 mags tended to group closer to 1 moa out of the box, and now they're shooting 1/2 to 3/4 moa after bedding. This is with minimal load development.

That 5R in .260 would be looking pretty sweet to me for shooting targets out to 500. I would shoot 120-129 grain bullets for that kind of distance, which will kick noticeably less than the 140-143 grainers. Between me and my buddies we have 4 5Rs and one Sendero. They all shoot great, but I've noticed the heavier chamberings benefit more from bedding. The .308s seem to do pretty well with just a trigger upgrade and I assume it would be the same for the .260. We had no problem getting the .308s to shoot 3/4 moa with factory ammo and I'm sure we could do quite a bit better with handloads. The .300 mags tended to group closer to 1 moa out of the box, and now they're shooting 1/2 to 3/4 moa after bedding. This is with minimal load development.
Shooting the 140's gave no noticeable recoil in the 5R and it shot them very well. As heavy as the platform is recoil just isn't a consideration with the short action 6.5's.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.