Caliber questions

Did a lil research and came across a Remington 260 ai scendero, 26 inch barrel ( I like that) . It either has a break or the threaded barrel.

What's the opinion on this ill beauty.

If this is for range use only, I'll throw out a Savage LRP in .260. Nice big heavy gun that shoots lights out with a fantastic light trigger (no need to know going in you are going to have to drop $125 on a trigger out of the box). The nice thing about the Savage is that if you want to move to a 260AI or 243 or any other SA caliber, all you do is order a barrel, spin the old one off, and put the new one on. No gunsmith fees.

I dropped my .260 in a McMillan A5 and it is a beast.

Just another option.

With a decent muzzle brake like the Pain killer, one of the bastards and similar even the higher horsepower 6.5's will be very tame. Call Shawn at DE and ask about his 260 Terminator or give a 6.5 saum or X284 a look.

The pain killer is an interesting option. Maybe I get a 260 ai and a 26 nosler with a pain killer. Problem solved :):D

Ok another question jus entered my noggin. Do I buy say a rem 5r or scendero for 1200 smackers or........ buy a tikka 260 for 600 put a custom barrel on it and have a real shooter for less or same than the Remingtons . Hmmmm.

Ok another question jus entered my noggin. Do I buy say a rem 5r or scendero for 1200 smackers or........ buy a tikka 260 for 600 put a custom barrel on it and have a real shooter for less or same than the Remingtons . Hmmmm.

No, you buy a Savage for $300, put a $300 barrel on it, a $30 recoil lug and a $150 stock and you have $400 to put towards a scope or take to the strip club. And since you do the work yourself you don't have to wait for a smith to put the barrel on.

The 5R Gen 2 .260 Remington is if not the best money I ever spent on a rifle it's very close to it. It's certainly the best money I ever spent on a Remington including a couple of custom/semi customs built on 700 actions.

Strip club , dam todd . 400 bucks in one night, hope you had a night to remember.:D

The savage has my attention too. This not something I'm rushing into, it'll take a month or two. Thanks for the help.

Ok so what I have read so far seems like the two rifles most commonly used lrs is Remington 700s and savage 12 lrp.

Hard to believe that weatherby, tikka, and sako wouldn't be mentioned. Is it because of cost of the gun, or that they deal in sporter and hunting rifles only.

Ok so what I have read so far seems like the two rifles most commonly used lrs is Remington 700s and savage 12 lrp.

Hard to believe that weatherby, tikka, and sako wouldn't be mentioned. Is it because of cost of the gun, or that they deal in sporter and hunting rifles only.

Upgrade issues, models not aimed at LR crowd, triggers, stocks etc. Tikka, Sako and Weatherby all make nice stuff.
However many smiths don't wanna build on anything but R700.
And most Savage guys do all the work themselves.

Upgrade issues, models not aimed at LR crowd, triggers, stocks etc. Tikka, Sako and Weatherby all make nice stuff.
However many smiths don't wanna build on anything but R700.
And most Savage guys do all the work themselves.

Some of us go against the grain.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.