Caliber Creep

I'm thinking about ordering a MK X from shaw and I can't help but get a strong case of caliber creep. I'm wanting a step up from my .243, which is perfect for the Texas deer I currently hunt. In the next couple years I want to hunt aoudad and antelope. At first I was stuck on 280ai, then I shot a 270, and kind of started to like that one. More looking and researching made me think 300WM or 338-06. So for everyone that has been down this road, what made you finally decide what you wanted?
I'm laughing at the similarities here.

I started with a .243, went to .270. I ran the .270 for 15 years. Then 338/378, 338-06, 300wsm, 7x57AI x 2, 7RM, 45-70, and ............

Just saying that nothing really help me decide on anything other then good ole gun lust 😁! I'm still buying a few a year and need a third safe. If you have a good idea on what you plan on hunting, base it off of that. For instance, if your planning a antelope hunt, the 338-06 wouldn't be the best choice but the others you mention are great. Assuming you reload if you thinking 338-06, but if you don't, look for ammo availability. Have a rifle that will take antelope/deer - elk would be my thought if trying to decide. The .280AI or 300WM are both fine and I'd take over the .270 only if looking for larger game.

I'm thinking about ordering a MK X from shaw and I can't help but get a strong case of caliber creep. I'm wanting a step up from my .243, which is perfect for the Texas deer I currently hunt. In the next couple years I want to hunt aoudad and antelope. At first I was stuck on 280ai, then I shot a 270, and kind of started to like that one. More looking and researching made me think 300WM or 338-06. So for everyone that has been down this road, what made you finally decide what you wanted?
You are right about the .243 being good for Texas deer. For antelope, I guess you are referring to the pronghorn, not antelope from an exotic game ranch, the .243 is still good. Bringing aoudad into the equation brings on a new challenge. Aoudad are very tough in their construction. Even a 100 gr. bullet will be a wee bit light for one of those beasts. I won't suggest a particular caliber, but if aoudad is on the menu, I would start looking for something that handles a hunting bullet in the 140 gr. or heavier range. I love BIG magnums so you can't ask me for any more information than that.

Pin a handful of cartridges from .257 - .284 on a wall and throw a dart ... they'll all do what you're asking and it's probably the only "easy" way to pick.

There are so many factors that go into picking a cartridge that I'd bet most of us here have a hard time deciding on the next one to get ... which is why a lot of people also end up with a huge safe(s) full of rifles (that too often rarely get shot). Personally I think a good 7mm is a perfect "do it all" caliber until you get into big / dangerous game, as such I'm just finishing up a 7SST build.
This, while made tongue in cheek to some degree, is very true. I'm partial to 25's but own/owned 6s, 6.5s and big 30s for the same purposes your stating. All will do the job. That being said let me throw another one out there for you:

7-08. Prob one of my favorite cartridges ever and I don't even own one currently, but that is about to change!! The AI version for me though ;)

I have been up and down the scale over my years. With nothing left to prove to myself or anybody else, I have settled on .280s and 280ai. Nothing on the North American continent I wouldn't hunt with them. And... I throughly enjoy shooting without a headache. (Neck injury)

Despite the surge of the popularity of the Creedmoor (inferior to the
.260 Remington by 50 to 100 fps), take a long hard, and very
serious look at the 120 years yoiung 6,5 x 55 SE ("SwedishMAuser"). Look
especially at Norma (143 BondStrike and 156 Oryx) and Lapua 156-Mega
factory loads as well as reloading data which again equals or exceeds
the bally-hooed Creedmoor ballistics! Again, thus year, many thousands of
Scandinavian Moose (up to a ton in weight) re-discovered the lethality
of 'the Swede!' Doc D

I just got them all.

I am distinctly old fashioned here, but for deer or antelope or anything similar I love my 25-06s.... Granted, there's a lack of high BC bullets, but its velocity with 110-115 gr bullets makes it a killing wonder, at least for me. And, it's just plain fun to shoot. I have a beautiful Sako as well as Classic Kimber in 25-06 and can use planned "holdover" to 500 yrds easily... Most, DRT.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.