Caliber ??

Yotebuster

I'm sure this has come up before, But I'm going to ask anyhow. I really wanting top get into some Long range Target/Hunting shooting. I have a lot of varmint guns meaning 22cal and wanting to get a good 28 or30cal set up. For some one wanting to do a lot of practice, recoil is not an issue, I have narrowed it down to 4 calibers. 280AI, 308win, 300WSM, 300 win mag. I reload so I will not be buying factory ammo. I'm guessing my hunting would mainly be out to 600 yds Antelope,Deer Elk. Targets to 1000 yd mark. I have a Rem 700 long action came from 30-06 I could start the project with, But I know where there is another short action Rem 700 action as well I can get. You fellows with more experience, what do you think?? Keep going back and forth on the issue. I Live in Oregon, so thinking on having Pacnor do the barrel /action work. I Like the Sendero Barrel tapper.
Thanks

I like my 300 Win Mag. I shoot past 600yards, pushing 200gr SMKs no problem. Good shooting caliber too. Just depends on what you want to shoot. I say 300 Win Mag.

300 WSM simply because it has 2-3x the barrel life of other mags and as long as you do not go above a 210, it will hang with any of them speed wise and definetely accuracy wise. With a 30" barrel they will shoot a 210 2950-3050 fps and at 1000, sub .5 MOA for 5 shot groups consistently, not 3 shot once in a lifetime.

Short action, wyatts box, sell the existing bolt and buy a Kiff bolt with sako or M16 extractor.

You also might want to talk to Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Guage about the 280 HK. It is a modified 280 AI, that the Hornday techs and Kiff came up with and put together, ergo the "HK". The Hornady guys are shooting it and doing extremely well in comps with the Hornady 168. Pretty sure also that Hornady can get you dies asap.:D

BH

Last edited:
Whats wrong with the '06 for long range target shooting?

I shot the 300 WM for years as a 1000 yard target rifle when I was shooting for the NG.

As I got older I got to where I didn't like the recoil of laying out there going through 100 rounds or so with the 300.

So I built a 30-06 1000 yard rifle. Using 175 SMKs its a dern good shooter. I'm doing as good with it as I did with my 300 WM when I was younger.

Loading for the '06 is cheaper, easier, and more pleasent to shoot if you're talking about shooting 2-3 20 shot matches per day plus the unliminted sighters of 1000 yard matches.

There is a thought. The gun is not much of a shooter right now. Would require a new barrel Etc. It would be better than the 308 for the long range stuff to a point probably.

Rebarrel to 30-06 AI -lapua brass -the barrel will last a long time.

If i had the wants for something bigger -i'd go w/ the 300 wsm -i hear they perform real well at 1,000 yds.......208 amax -210 berger vld..

I would say 300 win mag, or 300 wsm. Pretty much personal preferance a they both perform well, and they will outrun the other choices you have listed.

I know it's not on your list but with all of the bullets that are available
for the .284 and the BC of the larger ones This might be a good choice.

Look at the 7WSM balistics and the recoil if you can get a short action.

It makes a very good all around rifle and is very accurate at 1000 yrds.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.