Caliber combination for prairie dog hunting?

Junglebird

I have never been prairie dog hunting, but am looking to start doing it in 2025. I have my first build almost done, which is an AR15 in 223 with a 1:8 twist 24" WOA varmint barrel. I am hoping to shoot the 53g V-max with this upper. Everything I read on the topic says to take several guns/calibers along. It would be convenient to have the other caliber(s) be AR compatible so I can just swap uppers. Realistically, how many guns do I need to take? I assume I want a gun for close range, medium range, and long range. Where does my 223 fall in line and what cartridges do you recommend for the other ranges? I plan to reload for this on a progressive. Am I missing anything else important?
Thank you in advance for the insight.

I have never been prairie dog hunting, but am looking to start doing it in 2025. I have my first build almost done, which is an AR15 in 223 with a 1:8 twist 24" WOA varmint barrel. I am hoping to shoot the 53g V-max with this upper. Everything I read on the topic says to take several guns/calibers along. It would be convenient to have the other caliber(s) be AR compatible so I can just swap uppers. Realistically, how many guns do I need to take? I assume I want a gun for close range, medium range, and long range. Where does my 223 fall in line and what cartridges do you recommend for the other ranges? I plan to reload for this on a progressive. Am I missing anything else important?
Thank you in advance for the insight.
Much depends on where you are going and if with an outfitter.
I have gone to SD on private land so it was nice. Getting to mover around on hundreds of acres and dozens of Dog towns. I take three rifles. a Ruger 77 in .204, a 17 HMR and a AR in .223. Take one thousand rounds for each rifle for a 2-3 day hunt. I used the 204 & 223 for shots up to 500 yds and the 17 HMR for under 100.
There is so much to tell.
There is a lot of info on the internet.

Much depends on where you are going and if with an outfitter.
I have gone to SD on private land so it was nice. Getting to mover around on hundreds of acres and dozens of Dog towns. I take three rifles. a Ruger 77 in .204, a 17 HMR and a AR in .223. Take one thousand rounds for each rifle for a 2-3 day hunt. I used the 204 & 223 for shots up to 500 yds and the 17 HMR for under 100.
There is so much to tell.
There is a lot of info on the internet.
I plan on a DIY hunt in the Dakotas.

Part of always bringing at least one other rifle is just in case something fails on your primary. Also, if you are on a good town with lots of shooting, letting one rifle cool while using another is great also, and then there is the shorter range vs longer range caliber/BC loads to help fight the wind.

Typically for multi-day hunts in another state, I take 3 rifles. Most often, I take a 222Rem, 223 in fast twist (often multiples), maybe a 22/250 or AI in fast twist and sometimes a 6mm version. A 223 fast twist can shoot both shorter ranges and longer with different loads. I have several 223's 1/8" twist rifles in bolt and AR that I build loads using the 50-55's and 75-80's for multi-range usage. I've shot a fair amount of 800yd+ P-dogs with a good 223 using 75-80gr bullets.

Failed to mention, that sometimes, I bring along a 22LR target rifle for those dog towns that have young dogs coming up at under 100yds.

Part of always bringing at least one other rifle is just in case something fails on your primary. Also, if you are on a good town with lots of shooting, letting one rifle cool while using another is great also, and then there is the shorter range vs longer range caliber/BC loads to help fight the wind.

Typically for multi-day hunts in another state, I take 3 rifles. Most often, I take a 222Rem, 223 in fast twist (often multiples), maybe a 22/250 or AI in fast twist and sometimes a 6mm version. A 223 fast twist can shoot both shorter ranges and longer with different loads. I have several 223's 1/8" twist rifles in bolt and AR that I build loads using the 50-55's and 75-80's for multi-range usage. I've shot a fair amount of 800yd+ P-dogs with a good 223 using 75-80gr bullets.

Failed to mention, that sometimes, I bring along a 22LR target rifle for those dog towns that have young dogs coming up at under 100yds.
Thank you. Good info here.

Here's a longer range 223 load for one of my 1/8" twist bolt rifles and single load AR, and a 22/250AI for even longer range.

Attachments

• 223 Hornady 75gr.JPG
    223 Hornady 75gr.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 22_250 AI.JPG
    22_250 AI.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 25
Since I have a 1:8 barrel already is it a good idea to focus more on a heavier bullet for that rifle and disregard the 53g v-max for this rig? If so, bullet recommendation?

Since I have a 1:8 barrel already is it a good idea to focus more on a heavier bullet for that rifle and disregard the 53g v-max for this rig? If so, bullet recommendation?
Nothing wrong with the 53gr vmax. I shoot it and the 73gr ELDM and 75 ELDM out of my AR15. The 75gr ELDM needs modified stainless steel mags. Easier to do the 73gr ELDM or 77gr TMK.

Heck, my best and longest shot on a prairie dog was with my 7 mag at a touch over 600 yards. I find it just as enjoyable using your long range big game hunting rifle as a .22 caliber gun but with longer intervals between shots. Even with little critters, it's about shot placement, not volume of fire