Buying new riffle... So many options! Which one!

I was just loading for the same rifle but in 30 Nos and the 210 accubond lr only had the boattail below the neck. Fit in mag fine.

Depending upon your your specific application, there are better cartridge choices available today than the 300WM, but it is still a great choice....pending your specific application and personal preferences. Introduced in 1963, the old warrior 300WM is tried and true, but limited in using today's longer heavy for caliber bullets. the .300 Win. Mag. has many outdated design characteristics, starting with the entirely unnecessary belt and including its quite-short neck, which (in theory more than practice) provides a marginal grip on the bullet and can potentially allow concentricity inconsistencies. Its biggest disadvantage is a quite short 0.72-inch "head height," which is the distance between the front of the case mouth and the cartridge's SAAMI maximum overall length. Ammo factories must load to this standardized maximum, which prevents factory ammo from being loaded with long, super-sleek bullets with the very fine, gradual entry that so benefits extreme-range aerodynamics.

In contrast, the .300 PRC is engineered with the latest cutting-edge cartridge design principles, and features a 1.12-inch head height, enabling the use of very long, low-drag projectiles without intruding inside the case. You'll find this is a common thread throughout most current caliber comparisons.

The SAMMI throat of the 300WM is 0.31".....throwing a bowling ball down a hallway.....versus 300PRC 0.3088......better bullet presentation to the rifling. The 300WM is belted making headspacing less precise. 300PRC is a shoulder headspace datum line.
View attachment 224095
300PRC (left) versus 300WM (right)
The major reason for me using a WM is ammo availability IMO needs to be considered. Every guns store here in NM is sold out of everything but a few always remain available and the WM is one of them same with WSM. I am unfortunately keeping this in consideration and this is more of a factor than I want it to be but the way things are it may never rebound the same. I have Redding S dies for the WM and 300 unshot brass and 50 once shot. So this is a big part of. Unless someone knows a place to get PRC ammo factory and brass I will have to stick with the WM. But I agree and if I could get the ammo fairly easy I would have no issue going PRC! Thank you for the input! PRC does look deadly!

I had looked at the weatherby but the pencil barrel was little worrisome. But I have a .257 and it's a shooter. I have had better luck than not with weatherby.
My son's and i love em....solid accurate dependable and you can buy 300 WIN MAG in the vanguard models as well as lazermark

I am looking to buy a new gun and leaning toward a 300 WM wanting to shoot a bigger bullet 210 plus. I bought a Browning X-Bolt LR but with the mag capacity I am gonna have more bullet in the case than powder (kidding) but its small under 3.5".

Buddy wants to buy it. I have since considered the following but don't know every gun I research has as much bad as good seams like.

I have on the list...
Remington XCR TLR
Remington Sendero
Bergara (something not 14#'s finished)

I had thought of a Tikka T3Lite but with the 1:11 its not gonna work bullet wise. Thoughts on any of these or something I missed? I have a budget of about $2k and I am not opposed to 300wsm or 7mag but I have a bunch of brass and dies for the WM that is why I am leaning to that.

Thanks for the input. I also have a nice VX6HD waiting so looking for something nice to stick it on!

As a long time owner/shooter of a custom built WM I would recommend the 300 PRC. Almost same ballistics, but mags designed for longer VLD type bullets & you will headspace off the shoulder. It's a good burner & inherently accurate similar to the 6.5 creed. When I need a new barrel I'll be chambering to the 300 PRC.

I am looking to buy a new gun and leaning toward a 300 WM wanting to shoot a bigger bullet 210 plus. I bought a Browning X-Bolt LR but with the mag capacity I am gonna have more bullet in the case than powder (kidding) but its small under 3.5".

Buddy wants to buy it. I have since considered the following but don't know every gun I research has as much bad as good seams like.

I have on the list...
Remington XCR TLR
Remington Sendero
Bergara (something not 14#'s finished)

I had thought of a Tikka T3Lite but with the 1:11 its not gonna work bullet wise. Thoughts on any of these or something I missed? I have a budget of about $2k and I am not opposed to 300wsm or 7mag but I have a bunch of brass and dies for the WM that is why I am leaning to that.

Thanks for the input. I also have a nice VX6HD waiting so looking for something nice to stick it on!
Take a look at Cooper rifles.

Man the factory Remington 700 XCR & Sendero Tyepes sure lost there steam from back in the day I guess. They had a WM Sendero here but not a person mentioned them! LOL

As a long time owner/shooter of a custom built WM I would recommend the 300 PRC. Almost same ballistics, but mags designed for longer VLD type bullets & you will headspace off the shoulder. It's a good burner & inherently accurate similar to the 6.5 creed. When I need a new barrel I'll be chambering to the 300 PRC.
The ammo availability is part of the equation at this point. I will look into the ammo today and the availability. Thanks for the info. Custom build or there a factory someone recommends? I see only a few makers are factory making the PRC.

Ridgeline in .300 PRC. It is an over the counter Saami round that will let you shoot heavies up to 250 grain. That was my criteria also. I like the old win mag, but the PRC is the better option for heavies.

The ammo availability is part of the equation at this point. I will look into the ammo today and the availability. Thanks for the info. Custom build or there a factory someone recommends? I see only a few makers are factory making the PRC.
If a chassis build rifle will work you will be hard pressed to beat a Badrock Rifle For $2000. They are actually a branch of Defiance. You get a Defiance action with mag feed, triggertech trigger, adjustable cheek piece, decent barrel.
BadRockRifles.com

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.