Which one?

Couldn't go wrong with either, but my preference would go to the 6.5x284. No problem generating velocities in the 2950-3050FPS range with 140gr VLD's in a 24" tube with a complete burn. Also, the readily available Lapua brass is superb.

Put it in perspective using a 24" tube. I have no personal exp w/ either, just on paper. What is gained or lost between the 2 choices?

I've got the 24 inch barrel was just gonna build another creed but decided I wanted some more gas, it will be on a long action. Just curious if anyone had any experience with the saum in a 24 inch tube? I know from experience that I'll lose a little with the 6.5/284 but it's negligible. But have zero experience with any of the short mags.

I've got the 24 inch barrel was just gonna build another creed but decided I wanted some more gas, it will be on a long action. Just curious if anyone had any experience with the saum in a 24 inch tube? I know from experience that I'll lose a little with the 6.5/284 but it's negligible. But have zero experience with any of the short mags.

If you want a short mag, build a 6.5 SS instead. Better cartridge, more velocity, better brass life.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.