buy new rifle for long ranges [800m-1000m]

khodeir

Hi all,

It is my first post here so I hope to find some support :)

I am very interested about rifles and I still learn about them so don't expect I am an expert :).

Now I want to buy a rifle so I made search over internet about accurate rifles but I found a lot so I got stuck :(

I collected this list of rifles since it has a high reputation among hunters

here is the list I collected (feel free to update this list if i forgot to mention a name):

1. winchester model 70
  2. savage 10 FP-SR
  3. weatherby vanguard series 2
  4. Remington 700
I excluded both :

1. Mosin-Nagant(it is not easy to find nowadays + high recoil power + effective range =500m)
  2. ruger (I didnt find much info)

more info about the capabilities i would like in my new rifle :

• targets range : 800m to 1000m
  • high accuracy at long distances
  • my budget for the rifle and scope around : $1500
  • acceptable recoil power :)
I wish if someone could help me to choose the rifle and a good scope for it.

if you provide me with differences about those rifles and points of weakness and strength this would be much appreciated since i would be able to increase my knowledge.

thanks a lot and looking forward for your reply.

Many rifles and calibers are able to to reach out to 800m to 1000m. The problem is the person behind the rifle is not. If you are new to guns and you're not going to hunt, buy something you can afford in a low recoiling round. The next step is the hardest, but also the most fun....PRACTICE! Start with 100-200m, and after you can shoot well at those distances repeatedly (i.e. don't think because you did it once that you can repeat it, it's not that easy) To reach those distances, and hit the target repeatedly, you will need to burn through a whole lot of ammo practicing.

There are so many things not mentioned in your post such as, do you have someone that can show you how to safely shoot? Are you planning on hunting? If so, what game are you going after? There are many other questions, but these are the main ones I can think of right now. There are numerous people with a lot more experience than me on here that will probably chime in.

thanks all for your answers, but I am not looking for hunting at all :) just to shoot metal plates.

I don't want to buy a rifle for learning on short ranges and another one for long ranges.

so i prefer to buy something valuable for future needs.

any suggestions about the models above and their differences?

Last edited:
Lots of options, really. If you're just doing bench work, one of the Savage bench models would suit you well. I've been planning a build for a considerable amount of time, and keep going through the same manufacturers you're talking about.

Ruger used to make a VT model - not sure if they still do - nice laminated wood stock, with a longer heavier barrel. Downside on Ruger is the fact that there is very little aftermarket support for them. But that VT model shoots extremely well. Wish I had kept mine.

Realisitically, if you're in that price bracket, find a good target rifle, and put a SWFA fixed on it. Also, if you look through the articles database here, there was one on doing a budget build on a Savage action. Unfortunately, the pictures aren't on it anymore - at least I can't see them, anyway.

Lots and lots of aftermarket support on the 700. Not quite as much for Savage, but decent. And, have been hearing lots of great stuff about the Tikkas. Probably didn't help you narrow it down, there are really lots of options and lots of manufacturers that will do what you're talking about.

What is your shooting background? How much time have you spent working in the 500-600 yard range? What are you shooting currently?

my skills is still basic , nothing great to say , but i am still learning :)

thanks for the clarification , i think i can go with this solution :

but i am afraid to take the step ......

Vanguard Series 2 Synthetic seems excellent but due to my poor knowledge i am confused to take any steps !
Vanguard® Series 2 Synthetic Package | Weatherby.com

whats your idea guys ?

Last edited by a moderator:
remington 700 sendero in the caliber of your choice. a remington 5-r in 300 win mag. a 6.5-20 leup scope.

we can not get the big calibers here in us. they have a reputation for shooting as good as a sendero

Rem 700 5r in 308 or 300wm, I own both and they both shoot as good as custom guns, rem700 sendero's are also proven tack drivers. Tons of aftermarket parts. I would throw a scope you hopefully already have on it for now and save a little more money for a good optic, you'll only be left with about 500 for scope after you buy a 5r or sendero both deserve a quality optic. At the minimum I would go with a mark 4 leupold or vortex pst which I did then upgraded to a vortex razor 5x20 on my 308 and night force nxs 5.5x22 on my 300, you will thank yourself later for buying good optics, it sucks to spend 2 grand or more on a scope but you'll only have to one time. Good luck.

my skills is still basic , nothing great to say , but i am still learning :)

thanks for the clarification , i think i can go with this solution :
Savage Model 10: The 1000 dollar 1000 yard rifle - YouTube

but i am afraid to take the step ......

whats your idea guys ?

You picked out the right rifle $1,000.00 for 1,000 yds. Now if you don't reload what caliber would be the most available where you are from? Give us a little more info so we can suggest more options.

As for a scope this one is in your budget and would be a good choice.

Vortex 4-16x44 Viper HS-T 30mm Rifle Scope

If you could save another $300 you could get a Vortex 6-24x50mm PST with rings and mounts. You can get both of these scopes in Mrad or MOA.

Vortex 6-24x50 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope

joseph

PS: I have a 6-24x50 mm Vortex PST FFP MOA scope and love it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.