ButcheringYour kill in camp?

porkchop401

I will be hunting the 2nd rifle season in CO . I am aware of the rules associated with leaving sex id attached to the meat while in the field . If I kill in the first half of the planed hunt I want to spend the remainder of my in camp time butchering and packing the meat and at what point came I detach the sack from the meat. If possible I would love to return with a Elk ready to put in the freezer.

Can't speak directly for CO. But in other states we hunt when we cut it up the proof of sex goes in a heavy zip lock and saved with the tag in the cooler with the meat. The wardens I have talked to are fine with this. But a call to check would probably be best.

Jeff

page 13 Colorado big game brochure;
Evidence of sex
1) It is illegal to have or transport a big game carcass without evidence of sex naturally attached. It is illegal only to have evidence of sex accompany the carcass.
2) Evidence of sex is;
A) Buck/Bull; Head with antlers or horns attached to carcass or testicles, scrotum or penis attached to carcass.
B) Doe/Cow; Head, utter (mammary) or vulva attached to carcass.
3) Heads detached from carcass are not adequate evidence of sex.
4) If a carcass is cut into pieces or deboned, evidence of sex only needs to be attached to a quarter or another major part of the carcass. All portions must be transported together.

I just leave the scrotum or one nut attached to the deboned quarter. You have to take a little time and be careful when you are skinning it out. That is usually enough for the wardens unless you run into some gungho young one.
What area are you hunting in?

Can't speak directly for CO. But in other states we hunt when we cut it up the proof of sex goes in a heavy zip lock and saved with the tag in the cooler with the meat. The wardens I have talked to are fine with this. But a call to check would probably be best.

Jeff

+ 1

We hunt WY and place proof of sex and tag in a ziplock as well.

page 13 Colorado big game brochure;
Evidence of sex
1) It is illegal to have or transport a big game carcass without evidence of sex naturally attached. It is illegal only to have evidence of sex accompany the carcass.
2) Evidence of sex is;
A) Buck/Bull; Head with antlers or horns attached to carcass or testicles, scrotum or penis attached to carcass.
B) Doe/Cow; Head, utter (mammary) or vulva attached to carcass.
3) Heads detached from carcass are not adequate evidence of sex.
4) If a carcass is cut into pieces or deboned, evidence of sex only needs to be attached to a quarter or another major part of the carcass. All portions must be transported together.

I just leave the scrotum or one nut attached to the deboned quarter. You have to take a little time and be careful when you are skinning it out. That is usually enough for the wardens unless you run into some gungho young one.
What area are you hunting in?
I will be hunting in co gmu65 officer Pepper was who checked my license last year . I would like to have my meat ready for the freezer when I head home. I guess I could leave it attached to a roast or at least a sizable piece of meat.

65 is a beautiful area. I do a lot of trout fishing just east of there from Lake City up to the Powderhorn area. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts