Drop camp elk hunts

Still looking for outfitter recommendations or even past hunts that you've had good luck at on unguided public land. This is my first time out west hunting!

If you have horses and can diy that is the best way to go. Drop camps vary per outfitter, time, number of hunters etc can cause the price to jump. It would help to know the unit you want to hunt then you could check out the outfitters for that unit. I backpack, kill it, then depending on location pack it on my back or call an outfitter to pack it out, but call and speak with them and see how many clients they have because you will be down on their list and you want to have that connection made prior to going in.

Has anyone ever done either a semi guided or a drop camp style hunt? I'm looking to do one of the two in the 2020 season. If you have ever been on a hunt this style and have any information or guide suggestions, I would be very much appreciative of that information!
I did one approx 9 years ago in area 24 in colorado with Sable Mountain Outfitters. It worked out well. I got pricing for them providing the camp and shuttling us in and out and then got a price if I had my own wall tent stove etc and them packing in our equipment. In the end it was far cheaper to buy a tent bring my own and have them pack us in. Worked out well I still have the wall tent and have used it many times. We hunted in the Marvine park area and got 3 cows out of 4 hunters. 4th hunter missed a nice bull 5 times at 175 yards. He was not a happy camper the rest of the week.:(

I've always entertained the idea of a drop camp hunt because of the price but after meeting a guide one night in a bar in Colorado I dismissed the idea. He basically told me that if they have customers willing to pay big money for a certain size bull his boss will make them hunt all around the particular drainage the bull is living in. He said I'm in the mountains all year, I know where the big bulls and mule deer are. So if your a budget minded hunter like I am I would feel more comfortable doing my homework and making my own success than letting an outfitter take my money and lead me on a wild goose chase for a nice bull. With that being said I know there are great outfitters and guides who work extremely hard to get their customer a shot but after the conversation it left a bad taste when it comes to outfitters for me. Again those types of services are there so use caution. I hope no outfitter would ever do this to a client but it happens. Good luck to you Colorado is beautiful country.
I realize ducks aren't elk but $500 per day for duck hunting is insane. All they do is point you towards the blind in a marsh area and don't even stay there. Decoys, blind & lodging for $500 a day. I guess I'm not rich 🤑

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.