Outfitters for Drop Camp Elk hunt?

gcamp54

I'm starting to plan a 2011 Elk hunt and I'm interested in using an outfitter for a drop camp. I'm not limited to a state at this point. I looked around here for some threads but haven't found much. I do have one outfitter I saved from a previous post, Tenderfoot Outfitters in Colorado. Any suggestions for an outfitter would be appreciated. Thought I should start here amongst the wealth of experience and knowledge first. Thanks in advance.

Gordon

Last edited:
I used Sable Mountain approx 3 years ago. Of 4 hunters 3 got cows and the fourth hunter missed a 6x6 standing broad side at 190 yards.

Sable Mountain Outfitters

We were at the Johnson Lake camp site. It was not a good area for long range shots. 400 yards max at the parks there.

I used Sable Mountain approx 3 years ago. Of 4 hunters 3 got cows and the fourth hunter missed a 6x6 standing broad side at 190 yards.

Sable Mountain Outfitters

We were at the Johnson Lake camp site. It was not a good area for long range shots. 400 yards max at the parks there.

Thanks for the reply. Just a few questions. What season were you hunting in? Approx. what elevation did you see the elk? What was the weather like at the time?

Gordon

Thanks for the reply. Just a few questions. What season were you hunting in? Approx. what elevation did you see the elk? What was the weather like at the time?

Gordon

It was second rifle season. There was around 15 inches of snow and the elevation was around 8,200 feet but we could hunt up to 10,000 feet. I think the 3rd season can be very risky weather wise so I would go second season or earlier.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.