Burris Xtreme vs Zeiss Conquest

winmagman

Sometime late this summer or early fall I'll be looking to pick up a new scope for my latest project. This rifle will be a whitetail/backup elk gun for 500-700 yds. I was dead set on a 4.5x14x50 Conquest(I have 2 of the 6.5x.20) but lately the Burris Xtreme 3x12x50 has peeked my intrest.

I know the Burris has just been release but I was hopeing a dealer or somebody had gotten their hands on one and could provide a little insight or opinions on which might be the better choice.

Thanks in advance
Chris

winmagman: I noticed you have (2) 6.5-20 Conquests. I just purchased one and mounted on my Encore 22-250. On first trip to range I had alot of trouble seeing crosshairs on Z-plex on target at 100 yds.!!! I'm an old fart and eyes are far from perfect, but don't seem to have any trouble with my 3-9 or 4.5-14 Conquests. Have you noticed this with your 6.5-20's? Then again, you probably have younger eyes! Can't give you any feedback on the Burris Xtreme; will have to check my new Burris catalog. Must admit, I am considering Burris Signature Select with ballistic plex in view of above problem.

I wonder why with all the reported trouble with Burris scopes, why anyone wants to take a chance? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

What reported trouble?? I own burris scopes and they perform great! I've read a few bad posts on other sites about them but have read more positive ones.

3sixbits,

What problems have you been hearing about?

I have used, and used the hell out of many Burris scope and have had great results. The only one I have ever had a problem with is my 6-24 Black Diamond if you can believe it but that was because it was mounted on my LAR 50 BMG for many years and just got worked loose from all the pounding.

I do not know how many shots that BD had taken but it has been alot and there have been some pretty serious impacts with the eyepiece from guys crawling up to close to the scope which I am sure contributed to some of the problem as it was the one piece eye piece/power adjuster that worked loose.

Sent it back to Burris and they tightened her up again but it did not go back on the BMG.

Other then that I have yet to have a problem with any Burris optic. I will say I do not think the new Signature Select scopes are as clear as the older Signatures or the new Black Diamonds but for the money they are still good scopes.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I've read a number of post about poor response on warranty work from Burris. I would make darn sure that is not true before laying out one red cent for any scope that I buy! I don't know if I'm the only guy in the world that buys Leupold because of the warranty, but I suspect not. I have returned Leupold's over the years and never had a problem with them on a warranty. That does not say I think they are the best scopes, just there warranty is the best! I do know that this Zeiss Conquest I have, has vary good customer support. That I can attest to. I did recommend Burris to friends that did not have the money years ago for Leupold. I have stopped the practice since reading negative posts about the Black Diamond on this web-site. Perhaps a web search would be appropriate? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No problem. I will give it a search and see. I have never needed any warranty work but did read an article about the complaints people had with their warrantys but it turned out that 75 percent that were sent back for repair were customer faults like overtightening rings crimping tubes or removing the posi lock cover when it was not equiped with a posi lock causing the nitrogen to leak out but the one that shocked me and blew my mind was 8 cases of turning the rings in with the scope bending the tube!! I will try to find the article ( if I still have that magazine ) and post it. I always like to get other opinions and share mine so thanks for yours!

Every case for warranty work I've had has been my fault. Leupold has not blinked and eye. They repaired them without question. I guess it may seem strange to some that I like that, but I sure the heck do. Come to think of it that's why I buy Snap-on tools. I also know that I pay for that kind of warranty at the purchase. You better believe I will use it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I understand what your saying. They fixed the scopes but informed the customers that abuse wouldn't be covered the next time and I guess it ticked the people off. I'm glad leupold has a great warranty and thats the reason many people buy them. It's not strange to like having something fixed for free even when it's your fault. I would probably have been ****ed also if they told me that if I abused my scope again they wouldn't fix it for free when I thought I did nothing wrong but I also see why the told them that. If they give away new scopes to any guy who beats on them and twists rings in with them then soon they will be out of business. I hope I never have to use the warranty on any of my optics but if I do I want it honered to the fullest!

coltchris
One of the Conquests had to be tinkered with after it was mounted. It came in the box way out of focus and the paralax was cranked out to the infinity setting. After refocusing the eyepeice and cranking down the paralax its been perfect for 2 years now.

3six
I wasn't aware of the Burris issues. I love the Conquests and am pretty sure thats what I'll wind up with but you know how it is, the grass always looks greener......

Chris

winmagman,

How are the target turrets on your Conquests? Have you used the turrets alot? I was checking out a Conquest at a local shop and the 6-24x50's turrets felt a little squishy (technical term) That is to say they didn't really Click when you clicked them. I am wondering if that would effect their reliability when dialing in to a different moa setting? I like the very audible Click when dialing in scopes. The Zeiss I looked at didn't do that. I just wanted to ge your take on that. Thanks

Boman
Both of my 6.5x20s have proven very repeatable I have no hesitation dialing up then back down, I've found no need to go past the desired moa mark and then come back down or vise versa even in cold weather.

As far as how solid the clicks feel I can't help you much there as I haven't played with alot of other scopes with target turrets. I do have a (don't laugh) Tasco world class plus and the clicks on that are much more solid, almost to much so, they are dificult to turn with cold fingers.

I can tell you that in the last 2 years of target shooting and hunting the Conquest turrets have never moved while in the feild unless I've turned them. That covers about 700 target rounds, 20 whitetails, 2 coyotes, and an opposum.

Chris

I stand by Zeiss and Burris equally. I use a 4.5-14 Conquest on my HV70 in .223 and it is INCREDIBLY accurate. I use a Burris Fullfield2 4-14 on my ar15 bull barrel and it shoots 1/2moa. My PSS in 7mm mag has a Burris Signature 6-24 and I can shoot 1/2moa - 3/4moa depending on the load.

My 2nd Burris Signature had a problem, the ocular reticule focus ring's threads were stripped. I sent it off to Burris and in 2 days I received a polite and detailed courtesy phone call and in 4 days I received a brand new identical Signature scope, no questions asked. THAT my friends, is customer service!

Out of the 6 Burris scopes i've owned, this was the only scope I had a problem with.

My experience with Burris Optics customer service department, they're top notch!

winmagman,
I won't laugh at your Tasco's. My uncle uses old Tasco World class scopes for all of his rifles (over 20). I'll admit they are at least as clear optically as most Leupold's I've had by side. Plus he's never had one break down..

Thanks for the info on your Conquest, I'm trying to decide whether I should sell my Swarovski with the TDS reticle for a Zeiss Conquest with Target knobs. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.