Burris XTR rings

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by tnshooter111, Sep 1, 2011.

1. tnshooter111

tnshooter111 Well-Known Member

Ok this is bugging the crap out of me. What way should the Burris XTR rings face. I think the cut out should face back but I have read where others feel it should face forward. Which way should it face and why?

2. SavageShtr

SavageShtr Well-Known Member

Mount them with the nut to the left and torque them to specs then lap them. Mount your scope and shoot, shoot, shoot. Make shure to push the rings against the front of the grove so they don't move under recoil. hope this helps.

3. 3fingervic

3fingervic Well-Known Member

My XTR's don't have a cutout. I think the bolts are supposed to be on the right side. I really don't think it should matter.

4. rscott5028

rscott5028 Well-Known Member

The nuts should be on the left as you look from the breech towards the muzzle.

5. Firecat

Firecat Well-Known Member

The nuts should be on the left side of the firearm if your are looking at it from the recoil pad end. The cut out is designed to be a positive stop when the rifle recoils. There are instructions provided with the rings that explain all of this. When the rifle recoils, its natural direction of movement is towards the shooter. However, while the rifle is recoiling in a backwards type motion, the scope will want to stay static. Therefore it will have a perceived forward motion. With the nuts on the left side this places the cutout on the bar towards the muzzle of the rifle. when mounting your rings you will want to slide them all the way forward(towards the muzzle) in the picatinny rail notch. This way under heavy recoil you will have a solid mount for your optics. In process of thought it seems backwards but it is right.

6. 3fingervic

What if the rifle is left handed?:)

7. john_m44

john_m44 Well-Known Member

A left handed rifle recoils to the rear also.:D

8. tnshooter111

tnshooter111 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input. It helps to read the direction :D

9. 3fingervic

Nice. :D I was asking about the bolts.

10. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

All of my rifles are left handed, 2 of which wear XTR's, the nuts/studs DO need to be on the left side of the action to function as designed. The two rifles I have them on are chambered in 7.82 Lazzeroni Patriot & 338 RUM, neither have any ejection issues.