Burris XTR II 5-25 FFP/MOA vs ???

Jesus Christ, don't any of you guys understand the use of a metaphor?

The glass isn't literally "coke bottle" grade but it's not up to the quality I'd expect from a $700-$1200 scope. I have a bunch of scopes ranging a $150 nitrex on one prairie dog rifle up to Swarovski, Nightforce and Meopta. The burris is closer in glass quality to the nitrex than the high end scopes yet was closer in price to the Swarovski than the nitrex. A couple of Leupold VX-2's of mine have better glass.

Sorry if that ruffles feathers but that's my opinion from the veracity I own and the XTR II that my buddy owns. It's still a good scope and I like the feature set, but they skimped on the glass. It's sad that so many think it's OK for burris to skimp on a scope that "only" costs a grand. $1000 isn't cheap and if the quality of the glass matched the rest of the scope it would be a real bargain. Is it good enough for F class? Sure it is, but I want better glass for a serious hunting rifle. I take hunting a lot more serious than target shooting.

Last edited:
I have the Burris XTR II, 4x20 FFP/MOA on a long range 300 Win Mag. I don't like the scope but it is holding zero well & the adjustments seem to be working just fine. My next scope will be Leupold as I am getting another 300 Win Mag that is a bit lighter for black bear hunting. Probably will go with the new Leupold 5HD-3x15! The more I try other scopes the more I love Leupold. Tried the Vortex PST/FFP & i would'nt put one of the on a Red Ryder BB gun. Absolute junk.
Thanks, Kirk
yea, i dont get this vortex fascination either. i have looked at them quite a bit, even today at a local store. the workmanship and such seem absent on all their models. the owners say hey the warranty is great. well ok hope you dont need it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts