Bullets for 6.5-284 short action

Smokepoles

I'm building one on a long action currently but have some spare parts I'm thinking of putting to use. I have a savage short action ready for a light weight carry build for fl white tails. I also have a 6.5-284 sporter take off without a home. Has anyone had success with anything in the 130 gr range successfully feeding in a savage short action mag? The mag box measured 2.98 inside, I'm hoping I can feed it 130 accubond, partitions, or similar without breaking the mag box restriction. I'll lug the long action around if I expect to shoot real far and need the 140's, just looking for something lighter that'll knock one down out to 400 yds or so. I can pull out the books and the barrel and do the math but figured I'd ask for some real world experience first. If I'm peeing in the wind here I'll look for another barrel and caliber but if I can use it I may as well. Thanks in advance guys.

I did a 6AI on a Savage short action. I'm shooting 105 vld at 3380 fps with RL 26. Just an option.

Otherwise you could get it chambered 6.5 284 Winchester . That way you could make use of shorter bullets. Maybe make it a 9 or 9.5 twist.

short action savage, lightweight rifle for florida whitetails

6.5 Creedmore comes to mind. shooting the 140's mag length

of course I just use mine for targets and run 140 vld's with a 0.01 or more jam

The Berger 130 Match AR HYBRID OTM TACTICAL is where I went with a .260, and a short action 6.5-284 in the pipeline.

I was going to go the 260 or creed route for the shorty but happen to have the extra 284 barrel and it would save me buying more dies, brass, etc. Have you done any oal measuring for your short action?

Tikka T3 CTR .260 short magazine is about 2.85" I say about because the battery in my micrometer just went went dead. However, the box of Applied Ballistics .260 ammo loaded with that bullet says COAL 2.81", and a little magazine room is left, very little,

I don't have the other rifle here but the magazine in that one is just over 2.8" as well.

I was going to go the 260 or creed route for the shorty but happen to have the extra 284 barrel and it would save me buying more dies, brass, etc. Have you done any oal measuring for your short action?

If you are asking about a Savage SA detachable magazine its about 3.01 and can be easily altered +/- .020" or so.

Thanks t, I am working with that one. I'll just pull the barrel out and measure seating depth. If it's that close maybe Head spacing on the tight side will save a couple thousandths.

Thanks t, I am working with that one. I'll just pull the barrel out and measure seating depth. If it's that close maybe Head spacing on the tight side will save a couple thousandths.

Don't headspace it too tight or your dies might not work.

I wouldn't go below spec, just hug the line. I'm not up to snuff on all the 6.5 projectiles yet, I still have some reading to do. Sounds more and more like picking a different cartridge may be the easiest route for the short action instead of splitting hairs.

Just for comparison.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-15-20-07-21.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-02-15-20-07-21.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 86
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.