LRH bullets for 6.5-284

vendetta333

i typically only use Barnes x's (and tipped or lrx) for anything that walks, but the 127gr. 6.5mm lrx just dont gots da BC for me (not enough retained energy). so what other bullets do you all like to use in this chambering and y? o, for deer to 1k, thinking of getting a nice T3 built next year. thanx all:D

I used to try to stay away from the bergers but had a 6-284 built and decided to try the 105 vld and have had excellent results on game. I used to be a true believer in bonded bullets but after seeing what they have done for me I'm hooked. I haven't seen the super explosive bullets that some Speak of. Shot a goat this year at 200 yards, made mush of the heart and lungs passed through both shoulders with an exit the size of my middle finger. Shot a mule deer yesterday at 400 quartering away and shot him a little far back in the guts but still had enough internal shock and penetration to destroy the lungs, and no exit. He made it 10 yards and piled up dead.

I've had good results thus far with the 130grn Cutting Edge out of my 6.5WSM. Bench rest accuracy & pretty good terminal performance. I am still testing these on "field grade" test media if ya catch my drift. The muley & took at 655yds didn't like it very much. The bullet opened very well even at extended range with a between the ribs shot & no heavy bone. I am in the process of testing it on a short(er) range shoulder shot on my 'lope to ensure it still retains the monometals bone breaking ability.

They are pricey but im not shooting F-Class with it.

good luck.

if you can say or guess how did its performance compare to a barnes; identical, similar, etc.?????? thanx for the info. yea the price isnt too bad as like you i am intending this as a hunting rifle only.

anybody else like to chime in? :)

The performance is between Berger & Barnes. More fragments than Barnes But WAY more weight retention than Berger.

Best of both worlds? I can't say yet, I still need to test more.

t

Are you asking about 6-284 or 6.5-284? If it's 6.5-284, I have shot over a dozen deer with the 140 Begers between 600 and 1000 yards. All one shot kills with 1" entrance, 3" exit on broadside shots. Lots of internal damage. It's a great bullet with probably the best ballistics in this caliber.

i am asking about 6.5 to be clear. i don't subscribe to the mass shock philosophy of hunting bullets i prefer pass-through and weight retention for maxximum bleeding and less/no blood shot meat. that's why the cutting edges caught my eye. but i am open to suggestions right now. as well as all testimony. thanx

I just got a new 6.5-06 in Aug. I had been shooting Barnes TTX, but like you the BC's just don't cut it for long range shooting. I narrowed it to Berger 140's, Scirocco 130's or Accubond 140's. All have good BC's. From what you are wanting the accubonds are your best bet. They are going to be "harder" and give you more pass through's. John Porter was my sheep guide this year. During our 10 day hunt he told me he stuck a knife in 53 big game animals one year. That was between clients/family and himself. He is a big proponent of Berger's so I'm trying them. So far I'm happy. On my ram the bullet went diagonal through it and was just under the skin on the far side. About 100 yards. Antelope 375 yards. Part exited and part didn't.
My taxidermist went to Africa 3 mo ago. Had $$ to spend I guess. Killed 31 animals w/ a 6.5. Used the accubonds. He tells me they were all one shot kills. 4 Kudu, 4 Gemsbuck, 4 Wilderbeasts..... 300-600 yards. He loves them. That is a good test of real life performance. Lots of good sized animals.
Had to hunt for info on Scirocco's. Those that use them seem to really like them. John Porter named them as his second choice..... E-mailed a fellow in Norway that has used them extensively. He tracks a lot of wounded animals for other hunters and seems to kill quite a few each yr. They are his favorite. He claims they preform great. PM me if you want a phone number to talk to my taxidermist about the AB's.. Good luck. Bruce

Hands down...140grain Berger VLD hunting bullet. Best BC and devastating on game. Load 'em to shoot fast in your 6.5x284 and you've got rifle that anything within 1100 yards needs to be afraid.

Best BCs: Berger 140 VLD and JLK 140 VLD

I second the Scirocco as an excellent choice. Typically better BC than the Accubond. I've killed a lot of bears with the Scirocco and a few deer also. They are finicky at first because of the solid copper jacket but once you fine tune it, you'll be pleased and impressed. I believe they are the best bonded tipped bullet on the market. Too bad they are expensive.

The other bonded bullets: Accubond, Interbond, and the Remmy version, (Accutip)? are copycats.

Of the latter, I like the AB. It is very accurate.

Best BCs: Berger 140 VLD and JLK 140 VLD

I second the Scirocco as an excellent choice. Typically better BC than the Accubond. I've killed a lot of bears with the Scirocco and a few deer also. They are finicky at first because of the solid copper jacket but once you fine tune it, you'll be pleased and impressed. I believe they are the best bonded tipped bullet on the market. Too bad they are expensive.

The other bonded bullets: Accubond, Interbond, and the Remmy version, (Accutip)? are copycats.

Of the latter, I like the AB. It is very accurate.

The Accutip from Reminton is a SST OEM'd from Hornady.

From what I've seen maximum bleed out, good exit holes with low meat lose the 140 Berger covers it in spades. I have yet to see one not exit and the trail of carnage falling out of the animal is impressive but usually short and as a meat cutter the damage is usually on the low side on the entrance usually no blood shot and the exit has very little blood shot, far less meat damage than a bonded bullet like the Accubond. I personally have not seen any bonded or copper bullet create blood lose like the Bergers.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.