Bullet weights

Oklahunter1

when weighing nosler partition bullets I've seen up to 1 grain difference in bullet weight from one bullet to another. Most are within .5 grain. My question is how big a weight difference can there be without effecting accuracy. Shooting out to 500 yds.

I make bullets and can tell you with certainty that a 1 grain weight difference at 500 yards is nearly meaningless!
Different base to ogive length, non concentric, etc, have a far greater affect on accuracy.

I make bullets and can tell you with certainty that a 1 grain weight difference at 500 yards is nearly meaningless!
Different base to ogive length, non concentric, etc, have a far greater affect on accuracy.

At what point would you say that there becomes noticable difference.

At what point would you say that there becomes noticable difference.
Ballistic coefficient is derived by dividing the sectional density by the bullets form factor. In the case of a 215 grain Berger hybrid, the b.c. is .354
If you do the calculations based on a 1 grain increase in weight, it changes the sectional density slightly which in turn changes the ballistic coefficient slightly to .355 b.c. If you calculate the difference at 1000 yards starting with a mv of 3000 fps, the 215 grain bullet drops 3/10" more because of the .001 b.c. loss to the 216. In the real world case where the same charge was used, a very slight change in velocity would occur, but I think you can see that a .3" difference in 1000 yards doesn't amount to much unless you are competing in a 1000 yard match:D

Last edited:
If the 1 grain difference in weight was a result of a void in the core or some other serious defect, it could cause serious loss of accuracy, but not from weight, per say. It would become a concentricity issue.

Last edited:
Man I totally get that, we just bought a building franchise and territory. I'm hopping around like a one-legged guy in an asskicking contest getting things lined up and putting fires out. On an aside, my newest gain-twist 264win is juuuuusssstttt about done. If you get the itch, just sayin

I shoot to 1000-1800mtrs.
A 1gr difference means little, depending on weight of total bullet. While sorting, I have bunched the .5gr and 1gr variables in separate batches.
Loaded them and shot them randomly from both batches.
Couldn't see a single difference at 1000 between the 2 batches. They shot into the same group. Similar test with eccentric bullets proved no discernible difference in group size or POI.

Cheers.

I will add that after trimming meplats, most weight anomalies disappear with match VLD type bullets.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts