>308 and .270 Win Bullet weights

ash1055

Does anyone have experience shooting lighter weight bullets in the 110 gr- 115 gr range.

Also I am just starting to shoot .308. With the ammo supply being what it is I amd fiding 168 gr BTHP hard to find.
Does the .308 in 150 gr perform well inside the 600 yd range. for .308 in 20" barrell
1:12 twist?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Ash

I have shoot many differnt bullet weights in 270 win from the 110 v-max,120 barnes x bullets,130sst,140sst,135smk,130mrx. So far the best has been the 135smk's for me. I was very impressed with the 110 v-max. What info are you looking for?

I was curious as to what type of groups you can acheive with these at 100 yds as well as there stability to 400-500 yd. There B&C efficiency as well as knock down power for pronghorn and mule deer at extended ranges.
Thanks,

Cant speak for the 270, but the 150 in a 12x barrel will do fine. I would recomend the ACCUBOND if you can keep the velocity up and the ballistic tip if you cannot. This is a great deer/antelope bullet at 308 velocities. The 12x is more than enough twist to handle the 150's. Palma gurus like 13x for the 155's and can be shot with even slower twists than that such as 14x. 12 is fine.

I shoot only varmints and coyotes, but i know the 110 v-max would not be the one for deere since i have shot coyotes in the shoulder and the bullet totally destroyed the shoulder but didn't killed it since the bullet is desigined to to have massive quick expansion.It's great for varmints and seems to have plenty of power at 450 yards since i have shot many items at this distance.The energy at 3200fps at 400 yards should be 1203ftlbs with a 110 v-max.I have shot coyotes also with 130 sst's in the lower front shoulder area and it put a exit hole about the size of my fist. I think for deere and prong i would use something like a interbond from nosler or hornady so theirs more transfer of energy and less explosion or damage of meat!The 130 hornady interbond has a co of .460 and would have the energy of 1433 at 400. This load is at 3000fps. This could be loaded hotter and have done so, but have no grouping info at this time.Go to hornady's web site and their is a balistic calculator that has worked great for playing with different velocities,co, and what ever else you may want to play with. Another web sight that has alot of info on reloads for the 270 is (reloaders nest).

Thanks Mike.
As soon as I et my MS excel on my new computer I will PM you and get the ballistics software you have avaiable..

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.