1000+ yd. 30 Cal. bullet weights

mfc1245

If a shooter was capable enough to place a good shot on a deer at 1000+ yards with a 30 cal. bullet, what would the grain weight of the bullet have to be in order to adequately
penetrate and do its intended job? 165, 180 or 200...?
Thanks, very curious.

I use the heavest bullit my gun will shoot with the highes BC. If your gun will shot the 200g+ bullets that is what I would use.
Crow Mag

Thanks for the responses. I was hoping that the 180 gr. Barnes XBT out of a custom 26" Shilen barrell and Weatherby action with a muzzle velocity of 3250 fps might work? Or what about a 165 gr. Barnes XBT at 3450 fps muzzle velocity? I heard somewhere but can't remember where that any comparable bullet needed 1800 foot pounds to safely perform its objective; however I think that must be to high.
Thanks

Either of those bullets would be carrying about 1100 ft.lbs. of energy at 1000 yds. Just sufficient to kill 240 lb game if you can put the bullet in the right spot.

1800 ft.lb would be enough to take 450 lb game.

According to the Lyman's formula.

The 165 gr has a slightly flatter trajectory which would make scoring a hit slightly easier.

...S.

Seeing that you shooting at deer and the velocity your getting my vote goes to the 178gr Hornady A-max. Good weight with high BC will stay stabil out past 1K and the A-max tends to expand pretty quick so you get good expansion at the reduced velocity of 1000 yd impact.
Second vote goes to the 175gr Sierra MK

Thanks so much for the replies. Sounds like there is a lot of wisdom and intel out there in cyberspace. I especially like that Lyman formula, never heard of that before. Take care and good hunting.
Texas Trophy Hunter.

Jerry's spot-on. Although the options for a 200+ gr in 30 cal bullet are very limited.

In 30 cal the 220 gr MatchKing is the only option out of the brands Jerry suggested. The other bullets only come in weights up to 180 gr.

The 220 gr MatchKing launched at 2966 fps/4300 ft.lbs would hit at 1000 yards with energy 1336 ft.lbs. Drift in a 10 mph crosswind would be 61".

The 180 gr MatchKing launched at 3297 fps/4300 ft.lbs hitting with 1007 ft.lbs with drift of 72".

I would have to agree with Jerry as well. Stay with 200's or heavier. Wind is a big factor and the more weight the better.

TexasTH, I would suggest against the Barnes bullets for LR shooting. They would not expand at the low impact vel. Better choices include the Poly tipped bullets like SST/interbond, Nosler BT/accubond, Amax, and Sierra Matchkings.

Also, at long range, wind is your biggest enemy. The light bullets (under 200gr) simply get blown around much more at 1000yds. Compare data on a ballistic program and you will quickly see that you can't go fast enough with a low BC bullet to keep up with a high BC bullet at moderate speed. This is graphically illustrated in the real world.

I would suggest a bullet of 200 gr to 240gr for LR work. They will hit significantly harder and retain their vel much better. Their wind bucking ability can be as much as 40% better when compared to lighter bullets. Flat trajectory is irrelevant as we dial up for the distance. Having the bullet bounce around an extra 6" can lead to a long tracking session.

Jerry

Wow, great advise. So with the 300 Wby how far could you shoot the 180 gr.& 165 gr. bullets safely?

Also I have a custom 338-378 Wby. Mag. with another 26" Shilen and a 6.5-20x50 Long Ranch Target Leupold with Mil. Dot reticle.
It drills 250 Barnes X bullets at 3050 fps and shoots 225 X bullets excellent at 3350 fps. What's your take on this rig.
Thanks

TTH, both rigs are lethal at 1000yds. The problem is can you dope the wind at that range? Also, retained vel is so much higher in a high BC bullet.

Graphic example: I had a 30gibbs which spat out 165gr SST at 3075fps. Shot in the .2 MOA at 250yds. My friend has a 280 Rem which spat out 168gr MK at 2950fps. Also very accurate.

At 750 and 1000yds, the 7mm hit harder and was so much easier to hit with in the wind.

Remember that you are trying to hit a milk jug size target. Misjudge the wind by 1 or 2 MPH and you are going to miss the target.

The higher BC bullet will drift less making that wind doping that much easier and because of the increased bullet weight, will be more effective is not quite in the sweet spot.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.