Bullet weight and type for Rem 7mm mag

Coyote Hunter

I have been loading for my 700 since 1975 and I have finely ended up using a 150gr Barnes "x" (moly coated) for my all around load.

The load is;
67.5 of RL-22
Vel. - 3100+
(note; the throat of barrel is lengthen out .090's)

Normal groups run around 1/2" @100 for 3 shots
--------------
Zod

I have recently changed to the 160gr Nosler Accubond. This bullet might be a little more than you really need, but it would surely get the job done. I was looking for a more accurate load that I could use for long range practice and hunting to about 700yrds. In the limited testing I have done I have seen 3 shot groups as small as 1" at 300yrds. I'm shooting a Rem 700 Classic in 7mm Rem Mag, sorted Winchester brass, 66.3 gr of IMR7828, 160 Nosler Accubond, Fed215 primer, and an OAL of 3.460". I haven't cronographed it but I could if you are interested. Hope this helps.

m

I just picked up a factory Remington 700 BDL in 7mm mag. I believe the twist rate is 9 1/4. What is a good weight bullet and type to reload? I am looking for accuracy. Only hunting deer and hogs to 300 yds. Maybe longer if lucky. Also, any test loads would be appreciated. Thanks.

cbaker,

My best load for the rifle mentioned has been 66 grains of R22 under Sierra 160 grn BTSPs. MV = 3100 fps

Good Luck!

Reloader

I have been using the 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip in front of 67grs of RL22 and CCI BR2's for year's and never had a whitetail complain yet. They usually lay right down and wait for me to get to them. I have tried the 150gr Scirocco with the same powder/primer but not as accurate. I'm sure it could be with a little "tinkering". The Swift is a tad longer than the Nosler. Good luck. Johnny K.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.