Bullet weight and type for Rem 7mm mag

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Coyote Hunter, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Coyote Hunter

Coyote Hunter Well-Known Member

I have been loading for my 700 since 1975 and I have finely ended up using a 150gr Barnes "x" (moly coated) for my all around load.

The load is;
    67.5 of RL-22
    Vel. - 3100+
    (note; the throat of barrel is lengthen out .090's)

Normal groups run around 1/2" @100 for 3 shots
    --------------
    Zod

2. orwapitihunter

orwapitihunter Well-Known Member

I have recently changed to the 160gr Nosler Accubond. This bullet might be a little more than you really need, but it would surely get the job done. I was looking for a more accurate load that I could use for long range practice and hunting to about 700yrds. In the limited testing I have done I have seen 3 shot groups as small as 1" at 300yrds. I'm shooting a Rem 700 Classic in 7mm Rem Mag, sorted Winchester brass, 66.3 gr of IMR7828, 160 Nosler Accubond, Fed215 primer, and an OAL of 3.460". I haven't cronographed it but I could if you are interested. Hope this helps.

m

3. chris matthews

chris matthews Well-Known Member

I'd suggest the new 175 MK from Sierra- got an inside source from them and it's doing really good!

4. cbaker

cbaker Well-Known Member

I just picked up a factory Remington 700 BDL in 7mm mag. I believe the twist rate is 9 1/4. What is a good weight bullet and type to reload? I am looking for accuracy. Only hunting deer and hogs to 300 yds. Maybe longer if lucky. Also, any test loads would be appreciated. Thanks.

5. Reloader

Reloader Well-Known Member

cbaker,

My best load for the rifle mentioned has been 66 grains of R22 under Sierra 160 grn BTSPs. MV = 3100 fps

Good Luck!

Reloader

6. johnny k.

johnny k. Well-Known Member

I have been using the 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip in front of 67grs of RL22 and CCI BR2's for year's and never had a whitetail complain yet. They usually lay right down and wait for me to get to them. I have tried the 150gr Scirocco with the same powder/primer but not as accurate. I'm sure it could be with a little "tinkering". The Swift is a tad longer than the Nosler. Good luck. Johnny K.