Bullet Sticking issues

I have a rifle that carbon fouls and sticks the bullet. Cleaned the carbon and it cycles as it should. It's weird. Only 1 that has ever done that.

Hi All thank you for the info. I measure chambe with Hornady OAL gauge it is accurate. I have not had the chance to look at the bullet under magnification however there are scaring marks on the ogive. It maybe carbon build up however I clean with TEC, SWEETS, and Wipeout and brush occasionally. Not sure as to why the change suddenly. I was at the range shooting 3 times prior to hunting cycling rounds no issues. Oh same lot of Berger bullets will need to change lots as this is the last of them. I also measure each round for OAL while reloading everything with 0.003", bit of a nut about that stuff. Yes it was fired successfully first round stuck the second. I checked OAL of bullets last night all are the same no changes.

Last edited:
Hi All thank you for the info. I measure chambe with Hornady OAL gauge it is accurate. I have not had the chance to look at the bullet under magnification however there are scaring marks on the ogive. It maybe carbon build up however I clean with TEC, SWEETS, and Wipeout and brush occasionally. Not sure as to why the change suddenly. I was at the range shooting 3 times prior to hunting cycling rounds no issues. Oh same lot of Berger bullets will need to change lots as this is the last of them. I also measure each round for OAL while reloading everything with 0.003", bit of a nut about that stuff
I use boretech and used to use wipe out. I'd suggest a good carbon clean and focus on the chamber and throat. Then try the same ammo again and see what happens. Not going to hurt to expirement

I concur with JE Customs. I had a friend with the same problem.. he got in a new batch of slugs and the projos started sticking in the barrel on loaded rounds, we backed off 0.025" before they stopped. the company had changed the ogive profile and the slug was catching on the lead.

actually if you are doing .003 on OAL...then that may be the issue. the ogive is NOT consistent with the tip(oal) . so the seating of the bullet could be all over the place. if you meant what you said.
now if you are .003 with ogive, then I would remeasue the ammo not fired to see why some work and some do not.
O.A.L means nothing as far as off the lands, only thing that tells you if it will fit in your mag box.
CBTO is the only way to measure accurately.

More neck tension is needed. With unturned necks, all dont have .002" neck tension.

As brass is work hardened, tension changes.

Hi All Borescope revealed a piece of bark small but sticky stuck located just as the freebore began. Figure it must have gotten stuck when unloading then reloading the next day wedged it. My barrel end tape had come off the previous day noticed it as we were moving through the cedars and re-taped it. I ran 4 patches thru the gun the night the first bullet stuck, it did not clear it from the freebore. If something like this occurs again I'm using a brush to clear stuff then patches. Surprised firing a round did not clear it we figured there maybe sap acting like glue. Checked everything chamber measurements, COL to the ogive it all checked out nothing changed.

Neck tension set by neck expansion as it is Hornady Brass sucks but only choice right now. Also anneal brass every other time.

Hi All Borescope revealed a piece of bark small but sticky stuck located just as the freebore began. Figure it must have gotten stuck when unloading then reloading the next day wedged it. My barrel end tape had come off the previous day noticed it as we were moving through the cedars and re-taped it. I ran 4 patches thru the gun the night the first bullet stuck, it did not clear it from the freebore. If something like this occurs again I'm using a brush to clear stuff then patches. Surprised firing a round did not clear it we figured there maybe sap acting like glue. Checked everything chamber measurements, COL to the ogive it all checked out nothing changed.
Nice, figured it was carbon but this is a good find and resolution to the issue. Nice work.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.