Bullet selection for a 338 lapua

quarterman

I know there have been similar threads to this in the last year or so but I couldn't find them so here we go. I bought myself an early xmas present last week. I bought a fierce titanium edge in 338 Lapua, the rifle weights right around 8 pounds with a 3-15x50 nightforce nsx on it, I swapped out the factory radial break for a side baffle break so I don't eat gravel every time I fire it. Now my problem, I cant decide which bullet to use. I had a 338 lapua about 13years ago and the best bullets for it back then were sierra 250 grain gameking and match kings. Obviously lots has changed in the 338 world since then and it seams most guys use 300 grain bergers. I was wondering what kind of experiences people have had with 270 grain eld-x, 285 eld-m and 250 grain bergers on game? About the max distance I intend to shoot will be around 1200 yards. This rifle will mainly be used for elk and moose,
Thanks for any input you can give me.

Last edited:
Nice buy! I hope to have a lightweight backpacking 338 lapua someday, for now I'll stick with my heavy ELR rig. I have used the 300gr Scenars whiched performed decent around 1500yds and recently switched to 300gr bergers which I expect to perform better. Recently I used my 338 Lapua to take a black bear at 500yds using a 300gr berger OTM at 2780fps. Hit behind the shoulder and through the ribs. Impact caused a ripple shockwave across the entire side of the bear and I could fit my fist through the exit wound/ribs in the backside. I was sure to trim the meplats which is a must for using any match style bullet on game. I would not see a problem using a smaller weight bullet on game, although for elk or bear a 300gr pill keeps them humble.

What twist? If fast enough, maybe the Hammer ? Been frothing at the mouth to try these myself. Unfortunately my Lilja has a 10 twist. When I shoot it out it'll get replaced with a faster twist for that very reason.

What twist? If fast enough, maybe the Hammer ? Been frothing at the mouth to try these myself. Unfortunately my Lilja has a 10 twist. When I shoot it out it'll get replaced with a faster twist for that very reason.
A lighter style bullet along the same lines as the hammer I'm sure would still perform really well at the OP's intended ranges. Like a lighter cutting edge bullet (I assume the hammers are along the same concept?). When I switch barrels I'm with you, faster twist and exotic bullets!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.