Bullet lift, does it exist?

One of the mistakes that newer members make is to overlook the date of the post. When I first became a member I done the same thing and sometimes, by accident, I still do. One of the things that senior members sometimes do is remind the newer member that they have posted on an old thread.In fact some of the original posters may not even be on the site anymore. No malice intended, just to make the newer member aware of this. This is what I done. No need to delete any posts, the info was good as Barrelnut pointed out.

Got it. Just trying to add to the store of information on this very interesting site. The snark was meant to be humorous!

If it starts with a question about physics and fundamentals that hasn't been answered - dude, that's worth recording an answer to, because it's an eternal question.

A belated welcome to LRH and enjoy! One thing I learn since I joined is that there is always someone far more knowledgeable and have more real world experience than I do, most of which are almost always willing and able lend a helping hand. Most of us will tend to gravitate to them as we learn of their contributions. It has nothing to do with how long they have been a member or post counts. Lots of good folks here.

Now that the relevance has been re-established, you might find this subject interesting ...

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/gain-additional-velocity-by-shooting-prone.211087/

Cheers!

Last edited:
My SWAG (simple wild *** guess)

I would 'guess' that actual 'lift' does exist for bullets whose axis of rotation is slightly canted upward from their line of flight. I suspect that different bullet shapes fly at different 'tilts' and this is what causes some of the difference we are all talking about.

The above is simply a guess from a guy that hasn't had enough sleep this week and has had entirely too much caffeine; so take it for what its worth.

Later,
AJ
I know this thread is old but it popped up on my page and I started reading it again.

Bench rest guys for decades contended that if a bullet didn't properly "tip over" by the mid point of the flight they would gain lift erratically screwing up their groups.

There at least seems at least to me some possibility that the lift principle is indeed possible with some bullet designs because they are heavier in the rear than at the front. The more streamlined the bullet the more this center of balance changes.

I don't know if bullet manufacturers take this into account with respect to the cavities on cup and core bullets attempting to keep that balance point forward of the mid point to get a more level flight.

From a layman's perspective at least I would think this to be more of an issue with VLD's and maybe explain some of their problems in the transonic range.'

Doppler and wind tunnel testing along with modern computer modeling would certainly make exploring the possibilities easier.

Be sure someone credits me for the idea when one of the Manufacturers patents it and makes a hundred million or so off of it... .

I probably won't be around to spend it but I've got some heirs we could put through college with it. HA!

I know this thread is old but it popped up on my page and I started reading it again.

Bench rest guys for decades contended that if a bullet didn't properly "tip over" by the mid point of the flight they would gain lift erratically screwing up their groups.

There at least seems at least to me some possibility that the lift principle is indeed possible with some bullet designs because they are heavier in the rear than at the front. The more streamlined the bullet the more this center of balance changes.

I don't know if bullet manufacturers take this into account with respect to the cavities on cup and core bullets attempting to keep that balance point forward of the mid point to get a more level flight.

From a layman's perspective at least I would think this to be more of an issue with VLD's and maybe explain some of their problems in the transonic range.'

Doppler and wind tunnel testing along with modern computer modeling would certainly make exploring the possibilities easier.

Be sure someone credits me for the idea when one of the Manufacturers patents it and makes a hundred million or so off of it... .

I probably won't be around to spend it but I've got some heirs we could put through college with it. HA!
LOL! Yeah, that's a nice list of oldtimers; except for Kirby (I am1/2 an hour away from him), I have not heard much about them. I used to follow GG's hunting adventures. I hope they are all OK; I learned a lot from them.

Ed