bullet exit

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Enzo, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

300 wsm 190 bergers vld 2800fps Browning A Bolt BOSS 23"barrel, Is my bullet out of my barrel by time my gun moves from recoil? What if I was it was a 26" barrel like some other guns?

2. Joe King

Joe King Well-Known Member

No the moment the bullet starts moving recoil begins, it shows up a lot more with hand guns, i.e. a heavy load generally has a higher point of impact on the target than a light load does. With a rifle I believe that you could see it by using a chronograph. In that if you have the rifle tighter to your shoulder versus giving the rifle a certain amount of free recoil, I think it's possible to see the effects down range between 2 different shooters as well.

3. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

The rifle does have movement before the bullet leaves the barrel. How much depends on several factors like hold, cartridge power, rifle weight etc. Generally, 1/10th to 1/8 th of an inch or so with center fires. I don't think a few inches of barrel length would make a lot of difference. This movement is why consistency of shooting form is so important to achieve accuracy.

4. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Thanks guys . Greyfox not sure what you mean about 1/10 or 1/8

5. Joe King

Joe King Well-Known Member

He was talking about how far the rifle will recoil before the bullet exits the muzzle, it's a general rule of thumb.

6. JackinSD

JackinSD Well-Known Member

I believe he is talking about the movement of the rifle before the bullet has left the barrel.

7. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

That is what I was speaking about.