Bullet choice, shot placement 25-06

MikeMurf0505

I have been asked to harvest a big boar for a landowner.
I have a 25-06 26" barrel, and two factory rounds in hand:

120 grain Winchester Positive Expanding point
120 grain Remington pointed soft point.

I am thinking to place my shot just behind his front leg, angled forward so as to enter the vitals area and drop him like a stone.

Which bullet do the experienced hog hunters think will do the job best, and is my shot placement for Hog correct?

I have never shot one before, and this one is very aggressive.
I intend to have my 45ACP with me as well, just incase.

Thanks in advance.

I would choose a bullet like an Accubond, partitioned, or interlock bullet with that caliber. I would shoot the pig a few inches behind and slightly lower than the ear. The 25-06 has alot of velocity and I would be concerned about too little penetration with the bullets you mentioned.

This animal must have a very dense muscle structure.
I will be at 60 yards, so I can place the shot where I like.
Thanks for the advice.

i agree with long450, shoot slightly behind and lower than the ear. if he is facing you, take a line from ear to opposite eye and then other ear to other eye and where those two lines cross, shoot. Wait till his head is tilted down a bit so the bullet penetrates straight in.

Where are you located? i can come and help fix this problem completely free of charge :D

I appreciate the offer, but I am only now meeting this land owner and he wants me to do it by myself.

I am pretty much sure I will get a shot from what ever angle I need, since he is comming to a feeder and no doubt hanging around a little while when her is there.

I am hoping for a side shot, at the crease of the shoulder, which I am reading seems to be the ideal spot to get to the heart and lungs located fairly low in the trunk of his chest area.
I had no idea thier spines come down so low, I though they were right along the top of the back.

Anyway, thank you for the help and the offer.

i was half kiddin :D anyway, a heart/lung shot will work, but then you have to put the bullet in the exact right spot, since a wounded boar can do some SERIOUS damage! I always headshot boar unless im real far away and using a big gun.

You were asking for other hog hunters advice, and honestly, we're saying your using a rather small caliber and not the best bullet, so shooting into the chest cavity of a large boar may work, but the boar will take longer to die, if the bullet even penetrates properly. That's why a brain shot would be more suited here. If you were shooting an accubond or barnes TSX, you can shoot him right through the chest! but i havent heard anything real good about either of those bullets you mentioned.

These people have never shot anything with a 25-06 if they think that either of the 120 gr bullets you mentioned is too small to shoot a hog with. Of the two I would pick the 120 Rem CL myself. Your shot placement will be perfect and he will most likely drop like a rock. By the way my Grandfather used to kill some mighty big hogs he raised with just a 22LR between the eyes.

Thank you for that information.
I am waiting for the weather to cool off, so I can get a shot at this beast. I hunted him once in the heat, I got a tick on my leg, and drenched in my own sweat.
Hogs dont come out in the sun, it burns thier skin. I need to wait till winter, or hunt him at night. He is using a dead end portion of a trail, and I dont hve a clean shot unless I am in close quarters - he is wiley and experienced.
Anyway, thanks for that info, I have every confidence in the core lockt round, the Positive expanding point may be too light for hog - it is a GREAT deer stopper.

The very best place on such a large hog is directly in the ear hole especially with the bullets that you describe. the distance to the brain is probably less than a quarter inch. Forget about the heart and lung shot. Concentrate on the ear or the spine of the neck for instant kill. No trailing or wishing , the deed is done. With accurate shot placement a 22 hornet or 222 is just as effective as a 25-06 or 30-06.

Porker is coming down if the shot is placed in the ear hole.

My concern with a headshot is movement. If he moves while I am pulling the trigger, the shot is lost and he is either gone or comming at me.

How many head shot hogs have you killed, and how many have you attempted and lost?

I have killed over 30 hogs from 40# to over 600#. I have lost one shooting head on in the forehead with a 25-06. the bullet hit correctly but at the wrong angle and richo off. My dad used to shoot hogs with a 22 with the sight pattern of the x between the eyes and ears. One hog in particular had over an 1" of solid bone and it took multiple shots in the same spot to penetrate. You will have time to pick a spot without it moving. Be patient shoot straight.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.