Building A Rifle This Easy?

There's not even a 12 step program for it.

"Hi, I'm Thom and I'm addicted to assembling rifles. It's been 3 days since my last build and my hands are getting shaky."
[Chorus] "Hi, Thom!"[/Chorus]

Shortgrass has a very valid point though, there is assembling a rifle, and then there is building a rifle!

There's not even a 12 step program for it.

"Hi, I'm Thom and I'm addicted to assembling rifles. It's been 3 days since my last build and my hands are getting shaky."
[Chorus] "Hi, Thom!"[/Chorus]

Shortgrass has a very valid point though, there is assembling a rifle, and then there is building a rifle!

Yes. I can assemble almost anything, make it function, meh....Making it something worth looking at is best left to the professionals.

In keeping with THEME of the thread and not hijacking it, it is a treat to assemble something with the specs you want, to make it look like you want and to get it to shoot like you want. I just finished one, working on a second and have a third 700 SA that I was going to sell to finance the other two.....now I am thinking about keeping it!

I have done numerous AR-15 pattern rifles and now I am doing bolt guns in Rem 700 remage.

With the multitude of barrel options and services available it makes it a hoot.

I compare it to fly tying. My flies catch fish but will not win a beauty contest! My rifles shoot usually 1/2 or sometimes better. The quality if barrels today, triggers, stocks are pretty darn good! I try to have receivers trued up by reputable gunsmith if my budget allows. If I had to checker a stock, OMG that would be ugly! It would look better if I dragged it through a briar patch! Engraving? OMG another what are you thinking!

I compare it to fly tying. My flies catch fish but will not win a beauty contest! My rifles shoot usually 1/2 or sometimes better. The quality if barrels today, triggers, stocks are pretty darn good! I try to have receivers trued up by reputable gunsmith if my budget allows. If I had to checker a stock, OMG that would be ugly! It would look better if I dragged it through a briar patch! Engraving? OMG another what are you thinking!
My dad would have said "I don't care what it looks like as long as it shoots!"

So I have a 223 Savage that I could get a 300 blk out barrel for to mess with subsonic?

I also have a 22-250 LA varmint barreled Savage that I could get a 25-06 barrel for?

This is bad... real bad.😁

My dad would have said "I don't care what it looks like as long as it shoots!"
"Life is too short to hunt/shoot an ugly gun". I'll credit that quote to Dakota Arms. Any ol' shack with rolled roofing might keep the rain off, yet we spend hundreds of thousands on houses. And a 60s Dodge pick-up with a slant 6 and 3 on the 'tree' will get ya' there, yet we spend tens of thousands for that new diesel pick-up with the fancy chrome wheels, lift kit, AM/FM with Dolby Sound, and a plush interior and all. To each his own. I like my tools to look as good as they shoot, and I don't worry about a scratch here and there because It was with me on a memorable hunt. I guess it becomes about 'skill level' for some, and instant gratification .

There is beauty in a well executed assembly too. A highly functional, fully-loaded suppressed sub-10lb hunting gun that is pleasing to the eye and shoots sub-moa groups is a thing of beauty. Even more so when it is the fruit of your own labor.

. build.jpgbuild2.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I have some stunning Spanish SxS that I hunt with also. But there is still something to be said for simple, understated function.

"Life is too short to hunt/shoot an ugly gun". I'll credit that quote to Dakota Arms. Any ol' shack with rolled roofing might keep the rain off, yet we spend hundreds of thousands on houses. And a 60s Dodge pick-up with a slant 6 and 3 on the 'tree' will get ya' there, yet we spend tens of thousands for that new diesel pick-up with the fancy chrome wheels, lift kit, AM/FM with Dolby Sound, and a plush interior and all. To each his own. I like my tools to look as good as they shoot, and I don't worry about a scratch here and there because It was with me on a memorable hunt. I guess it becomes about 'skill level' for some, and instant gratification .
I was the kid with the rusted out 67 RS Camaro. Looked like a junk heap, but all the running gear was brand new and when you opened the hood
there was a 337 built to the hilt! We hit 165 mph one night. I would have loved to had a new paint job(I still have it in the shed....when I retire I hope to surprise everyone), BUT performance trumps looks.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good looking rifle!!!! I am just the kind of guy that just bought a new truck(2003 dually GMC 8.1 to haul cows with)
It is as rust free as you will find. As clean as you will find. Still amazed that I own such a nice truck, but I bought it for the horsepower. $60,000 more for a new diesel truck just aint in my budget. Maybe if I had 500 head of cows and owned 1000 acres of prime crop ground.

What is pretty funny as I am writing this out one of my daughters just called me. She is taking the 2003 dually to go rescue her sister and husband who are stranded because his new 2020 diesel just left them stranded. 😝

There is beauty in a well executed assembly too. A highly functional, fully-loaded suppressed sub-10lb hunting gun that is pleasing to the eye and shoots sub-moa groups is a thing of beauty. Even more so when it is the fruit of your own labor.

.View attachment 276094View attachment 276095

Don't get me wrong, I have some stunning Spanish SxS that I hunt with also. But there is still something to be said for simple, understated function.
How do you like that scope, and what caliber is that?
Is the scope good in low light? My eyes are getting old. LOL

How do you like that scope, and what caliber is that?
Is the scope good in low light? My eyes are getting old. LOL
Leupold 5HD 3x15 44mm The 5HD is a quantum leap above the old VX-3. Very good in low light...I too have "old" eyes.

The gun has a Criterion SS barrel in 260 rem match with a 22" threaded barrel in #4 heavy sporter. It has a Trigger Tech Special trigger with a Bergara Box Mag bottom metal (you got to cut a notch in the back of the mags) with a Leupold Back Country one piece ring/base and a Gemtech Tracker 30 cal can all set in a Grayboe Outlander stock. The barrel paint job is a Dura Coat Wolf Grey. With sling and loaded mag of 130 gr eld-x it weighs 9lbs 14 ozs.

At 65, I still hump the hills of Idaho with a 30lb pack to hunt so weight is always a factor. You got to get beyond where the young'uns stop to get into game!

Last edited:
The rifle I am working on now is an exact duplicate (including suppressor) of the pictured gun except it will be in 7mm-08 with a Wilson SS barrel and with a standard BDL bottom metal.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know, not much difference in the two rounds, but I have two grandsons and after I use them and can't do my thing anymore, they will get them and both will be able to say "He put this gun together himself, hunted with it until he couldn't get out anymore, then gave it to me".

It will give them something to argue about who has the better gun.

Leupold 5HD 3x15 44mm The 5HD is a quantum leap above the old VX-3. Very good in low light...I too have "old" eyes.

The gun has a Criterion SS barrel in 260 rem match with a 22" threaded barrel in #4 heavy sporter. It has a Trigger Tech Special trigger with a Bergara Box Mag bottom metal (you got to cut a notch in the back of the mags) with a Leupold Back Country one piece ring/base and a Gemtech Tracker 30 cal can all set in a Grayboe Outlander stock. The barrel paint job is a Dura Coat Wolf Grey. With sling and loaded mag of 130 gr eld-x it weighs 9lbs 14 ozs.

At 65, I still hump the hills of Idaho with a 30lb pack to hunt so weight is always a factor. You got to get beyond where the young'uns stop to get into game!
280 AI
SS Rem 700 action standard bolt face
Remage Criterion SS barrel, 24" with APA Microbastard brake. Heavy sporter contour, bead blasted.
Greyboe Outlander stock, bedded
Timney trigger
Purchased everything but the trigger and stock from Northland shooter supply. Will definitely buy from James at NSS again.

My first complete build. Fun and very satisfying. Shoots great groups, too.

Attachments

• D49FA98D-8F02-47CE-83CC-215A99E4D9EF.jpeg
    D49FA98D-8F02-47CE-83CC-215A99E4D9EF.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 25
  • AEDCDC7E-5A27-442E-B998-5422A1749D87.png
    AEDCDC7E-5A27-442E-B998-5422A1749D87.png
    482.8 KB · Views: 20