Building a Rifle

ccsykes

Recently I asked about custom rifles. Are there any books out there that would give me insight in building a rifle myself. I do not know it I want to tackle such a job as building one myself. It does give on the satisfaction of completing something of this magnitude and then seeing it pay off by taking and animal in the field or doing well in a competition. It would be a really special gun. But even if I do order one, reading books on how to build rifles will give me a deeper understanding and knowledge of what to look for when having one built for me.

I've got a book that covers some of the process of threading and chambering a barrel, along with truing the action, bolt face and lugs. It's The Complete Illustrated Guide to Precision Riffle Barrel Fitting by John Hinnant. Do a lot of research on the net and you'll find a good number of tips on how to rework rifles. You might concider using a Remington action, pretty simple to work with. I built my .300 ultramag completely myself, yea It's neat that it was used last season to take a pair of elk and mullies
grin.gif

I was actually thinking about a remington action. I will look at that book and give it a try. How about the stock end of the deal. What kind of work does it take to build one?

I just got that book and was looking at it. It seems like a lot of work and I have to have a lathe. How pricey are lathes and it is worth the work and money; or should I have gunsmith fit the barrel and action?

Awwww my achin' friggin' back.!! Ya think..!?!
grin.gif
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif

..Hehehe.. Yessir.. Lathes are very expensive.. Almost as much as the dang tooling that goes with'em..!!
.. Here's whatchya do.. Goto a community college and take some basic machinist courses.. Then, take a coupla years to get comfortable with it whilst screwin up a couple of expensive barrels and actions just to make sure ya get wise to being cautious.. It ain't rocket science but ya don't just go and do it..

..Ask me how I know this..

.. It's a lotta work, a lotta time and money.. Good luck on it if'n ya goferit..!!

..Please keep in mind that my post is in good humor and if y'all wanna beat me up over it I'll be back inna few days..
grin.gif
JiNC

I hear ya. A little humor never hurt anyone. I was thinking the same thing you said. There is a pretty good community college in Goldsboro near where I live and I know the teacher pretty well, so I might get him to help teach me instead of getting in the class. That way I can get more out of it. Maybe I can get him to help me.

Christopher,
there's another good book that Bountyhunter turned me on to here not too long ago, but I have the link to it on my other computer that's having problems right now. Maybe he can point it out to you. I totally forget the name of it, and the book is at my dad's place.

I definitally recommend the machine shop courses. Buy new equipment unless you know how to check out the used stuff very well so you don't get some worn out junk too expensive to be worth fixin.

Ebay has the hottest deals on tooling and equipment I've seen so far.

Don't plan on buyin equipment to save money on rebarreling etc, cause you won't. Think more like... just more expensive toys, unless you go into buisiness using them, then plan on a while for the buis to pay for the equip and tooling.

If you do not mind me asking, how much does one run and what type would I need to be able to do everything? The ones I have seen look huge, like the ones an industrial facility would use.

I had a 12" Atlas lathe. I built a couple of rifles with it and it was alright, but I sold it ($900) and will be buying something bigger when I get my shop/reloading room built.

The smaller lathes are certainly usable, but you have to take your time (lighter cuts because the smaller lathes aren't as stiff) and work between centers as opposed to centering the barrel in the head stock. Working between centers, I could only chamber a 26" barrel.

I don't know what kind of lathe I'm going to buy -- anybody have any suggestions?

[ 04-01-2004: Message edited by: JBM ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.