building a new rifle

huntinfool18

just making a list of what i have and what i need. making a 300 wsm

already have or on order:
mcmillan a5 stock- 70% black 20%white 10%gray- thumbwheel cheekpiece and decelorator pad.
blueprinted remington 700 short action
shilen selact match, stainless steel, 10 twist, #5 contour at 26"
leupold bases and burris sig rings.
badger oversize bolt knob and recoil lug.

from you guys that have been at it a while what else do i need before i throw this rifle together?

i would ask for suggestions on scopes but i know what answers i will get. but any other helpful accessories that might be in order to make things a lilttle bit easier to make frist shot hits would be greatly appercated. thanks huntinfool18

Was this action setup for the remington short action RUM or just a standard bolt face?

If it was a standard action your gonna have to open the feed rails a little and I personaly would install a Wyatt's extended center feed mag box. This is gonna involve some more machining to the bottom of the reciever so the box will fit , but it will allow you a good bit more latitude with your loadings.

I would also open the scope base holes to 8-40 and maybe screw the bolt handel to the bolt body. Neither of these are realy "needed" but they add that final strong tactical look to the gun

it was a STD. bolt face and i opened the bolt face when i was doing all the blueprinting work to the action. i think i will open up to the 8-40 screws, what is the advanage of this? and screwing the bolt handle to the bolt body???
thanks for the advice, huntinfool18

Well screwing the bolt handel to the bolt body is supposed to make it alot stronger as Remington only silver solders the handel to the bolt and some guys have knocked them of when cycling the bolt , this is more than likely due to the solder joint being poorly done rather than just being a weak desgine. I personaly like to TIG weld my handels on.
as for opening the base holes up , well thats supposed to make the mounting alot stronger , how strong you need it to me is a question only you can answer. I like to do it more because I have seen some actions that were drilled out of line with the bore of the rifle , so I set up the barreled action in the Mill and make sue that the holes line up with the rifle bore and drill them that way.

Any special reason for the 26" barrel instead of the 24"?

Just seems like you would have to pack more weight, but I guess if you wanted to usea slow powder that would work better.

Joe Oakes

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts