Building a 7mm STW? need help

huntokanogan

I am looking for a 7mm STW rifle. They are not easey to find unless you want a $2000.00 (and up) custom rifle. I have seen a few in Savage rifles which i guess were made by savage for a couple of years.
My question is this: How hard would it be to make one out of say...a 7mm rem. mag? or would another cartridge be a better starting point? (7mm WBY, 300 mag, 375 ?)
It would seem to me that I would'nt have to re-barrel the gun if I started with a 7mm mag..but admittedly I am a newby at this. Has anyone built one before?
Realisticly, what would it cost me beyond the price of the rifle?
Any help I could get on this subject would be great.

You can rechamber a 7 mag to 7 STW. Your smith may have to set the barrel back a couple of turns depending on how picky he is. Remington has a habit of oblong chambers and when a guy rechambers, you can actually see where the reamer will skip over a spot in the factory chamber. I generally set them back a couple threads then recut. Also, most match reamers will have a smaller neck diameter than factory and will leave a small step in the neck area of the chamber. I would find a Sendero in 7 Mag and shoot it until the barrel is gone, then have it trued and a new barrel installed in 7 STW with a 9 twist.

I had mine built from a Browning A Bolt 7mm Rem mag and used a 375 H&H magazine in it and synthetic stock with muzzle brake.
Not a very pricy deal and a great shooter even single handed.

Savage 116 300wm package rifle=600
27" 9 twist Brux SS barrel= 405
Stockade Tactical/A2=375
1,380 if you do the work yourself about 1,650 if you pay a smith.

THE shooting times westerner is on a 8mm rem mag case. lots more powder/recoil/shorter barrel life, whats wrong with a7mm rem. mag or 7mm ultra mag. I shoot a 7mm rem. mag it certainlly will get the job done out to 1000+yds. with the right bullet and load feel free to contact for load data and bullet choice good shootinggun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.