Need help with a build

Jrayecu

Ok I am starting to gather up some parts now for a long action long range hunting rifle. I have a steven longaction with a rifle basix trigger that I got from northland shooter supples .
My question is what chamber should I go with. I hunt large open wheat and alfalfa fields for whitetails and have the ability to take shots over a 1000 yards. I am looking for good knockdown and extreme precision. As I will also use this gun as a long range target rifle. Also what stock is recommend.

Thanks

The first thing you need is a good range finder. Ranging a Whitetail at over 800 yds on flat terrain is very difficult.

7mm Rem Mag would be a good choice for balancing range, energy, accuracy, recoil, affordability, bullet choices for handloads, factory ammo, etc.

The 6.5's don't carry as much energy at 1k and the 30's and 338's are more expensive to shoot. ...and, you'll definitely want to get in lots of practice.

Happy hunting,
Richard

I forgot to mention that I shoot a 6.5 /284 Norma on a regular basis over 1000 yards with my custom bench gun. I have a leica 1200 range finder . I am just wondering about a good hunting round . Maybe a short mag? 338 sin ?

I would just hunt with the 6.5/284 but it lacks in long distance knockdown and it weighs 18 lbs

I agree. In addition to my 12F, I built a 6.5x284 specifically for hunting. But, the 7RM with 180g Bergers retains energy better and should yeild another 200yds or so.

I'm not a WSM fan. But, I don't oppose them either. 7STW will reach out there at the expense of barrel life.

There are some good 30's and 338's. But, the key will be ranging your prey. I have a tough time with my Leica 1200 CRF out past 800 yds. And, I think it's one of the better rangefinders for the money.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.