Need 7mm stw loads

delta1

I have a new toy and need some loads for her. I am going to use the 154 gr. sst for now. If anyone has a pet load for this round,I would appreciate it.Minimum and maximum grains used would be helpfull also. I am going to start with H1000 and Retumbo powders. The rifle is a Rem 700 bdl with a 24 in. tube and a vias break.
Thanks

i have a 7stw with a 27in medium weight shilen barrel that i use for elk. hs stock and all of the gunsmithingwork done. the only thing i cant get it to shoot under an inch is those barnes x bullets. 150 bt's are going under a quarter. i am going to try the 140 tsx when i get a chance. i have only used imr 7828 but am looking to broaden my horizons. i too would like to hear of other experiences.

RE22, RE25 and H1000 are all good choices that have worked well for me.

If you purchase new bullets, I would recommend the Nosler 160gr Accubond. They are a bonded bullet that will retain weight better than the SST and are very accurate in my 7STW.

Good luck - Charlie

My 2 working loads were 83 grains of IMR 7828 with a 120 grain moly coated ballistic tip and 87 grains of H5010 with a 160 grain moly coated partition. Both shot 0.75" for 3 shots at 200 yards and shared the same POI.
smile.gif

I also had a good load for the 140 partition with IMR 7828. Never could get my gun to like any of the 150 grain bullets I tried, don't think I was able to match powder burn rate to bullet weight.

The gun was a basically stock 700 Sendero SF with a factory trigger adjusted to 1 pound by Neil Jones. Scope was a Leupold 4.5-14X in their dual dovetail rings. I used reformed WW .300 H&H brass for the 160 grain partition loads and Remington 7STW brass for the 120 grain b-tip loads. Federal 215s all around.

I loaded my shells to the max length for the magazine box; the bullets still jumped over a third of an inch to rifling but it didn't seem to affect how the gun shot.

I am using 72gr of RL19 with a 162gr SST bullet. I am stooting groups of less than 1" at 200 yards. So far, I have a point blank range of 300 yards. I am planning on setting up targets at 400 and 500 yards to see where the bullet drops.

I have a Savage Tactical that was rechambered to 7STW, and I use 78 gr IMR 7828 with the fed 215 primer and moly coated 140 gr ballistic tip for velocities right at 3300 fps. If I do my part, it will do 1/4 moa. I have also had good luck with RL22. Good shooting!

[ 08-16-2004: Message edited by: sambo3006 ]

sambo3006,
I am thinking of having a savage built in an STW. what barrel did you use and what lenght action. will a long action work or will I need and ultra mag action.
Thanks,
Gene Cole III

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts