Building 375 cheytac like your help!

jeepnsammys

gun)Ive read lots of post on the 375 many of which are old. I would like to know what the census is since there has been time for trial, error and improvements in barrel twists and bullets that are currently available?
Plan is to build a lighter weight rifle (14 to 16lbs) starting with the stiller action 1.45 and t2a stock but barrel and twist are still in question should I build it for hunting specific or can I set it up for the ultra long range target and be able to hunt with it also? I hunt a lot and enjoy target shooting also (I have room where im at to stretch it out to 20000 What I mean is can I get a twist rate that will do both? Who is the go to bullet and barrel maker for the 375? Would you go with muzzle brake (if so whos brake settles the 375 down the best) or a silencer (will the silencer settle it down as well as the brake?) Love to hear your input guys this is your field!lightbulblightbulb

Hmmmm,

I shoot a 375 CT Improved - aka 375 Allen Magnum. I have mine peared down to 15.94 pounds from the original 19 or so pounds.

Took a lot of doing.

Mine is build on a Bat CT 1.55" diameter or so. It was recommended that any smaller than this was of some, I don't know how much, concern.

One thing for sure is that a 10 twist isn't going to cut it for anything but 350 SMKs. 350 and 377 CEBs won't stabilize in mine beyond 628 yards but @ 628 they shoot sub half MOA..:roll eyes: Some where between there and 1k they go bonkers.

I'm think'n your gonna have a spot of bother stretching it out to that 20000 yard mark.:)

gun)Ive read lots of post on the 375 many of which are old. I would like to know what the census is since there has been time for trial, error and improvements in barrel twists and bullets that are currently available?
Plan is to build a lighter weight rifle (14 to 16lbs) starting with the stiller action 1.45 and t2a stock but barrel and twist are still in question should I build it for hunting specific or can I set it up for the ultra long range target and be able to hunt with it also? I hunt a lot and enjoy target shooting also (I have room where im at to stretch it out to 2000) What I mean is can I get a twist rate that will do both? Who is the go to bullet and barrel maker for the 375? Would you go with muzzle brake (if so whos brake settles the 375 down the best) or a silencer (will the silencer settle it down as well as the brake?) Love to hear your input guys this is your field!lightbulblightbulb....

Its interesting that your 10 twist won't stabilize them. Their website says that 10 is the minimum twist for the 377 and 11 for the 350. Are the holes round at distance?

I've thought about building one too but haven't done it. Maybe someday....

Aaron

My 375 RUM with the a 12 twist shoots the 350 SMK's lights out. I did try the 260 accubond but couldn't even come close to the 350's. I ended up shooting my deer and my elk with the 375. It's such an amazing caliber. Too bad we don't have more bullets to choose from...

You're definitely going to need a brake for it!!! Kirby's "Pain Killer" brake would work well as long with a few others like one of the bigger "Bastard" brakes which is all I can think of off the top of my head right now.

Its interesting that your 10 twist won't stabilize them. Their website says that 10 is the minimum twist for the 377 and 11 for the 350. Are the holes round at distance?

I've thought about building one too but haven't done it. Maybe someday....

Aaron

It's interesting to me also. I was really enthused with the very tight groups at 300 and 628 yards. Thought I was in hawg's heaven. Went to 980 and couldn't hit a 4 foot by 4 foot target holder but 2 out of 5 shots with the 377s.

Talked to CEB Tech who confirmed that they were "on the edge" of stability. They sent me some 350s and 352s, I think it was. Very similar results.

i'm confident the 330s will do just fine and with an expected velocity on the high side of 3300 it should do all that is needed out of the "Big Girl". :)

We'll be getting very serious when the Magneto Speed chrono gets here.

would a silencer be adding more weight then a brake? would it tame down the recoil as good as a brake?

would a silencer be adding more weight then a brake? would it tame down the recoil as good as a brake?

Even a titanium suppressor will add more weight than a brake. Felt recoil is actually more with a suppressor than with a good side discharge brake. How could that be you say... Well the suppressor contains the gas and manages it, as opposed to expelling it quickly like a brake.
Rarely do I shoot any of my .408 wildcats suppressed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 106
The master speaks!! I was hoping you would chime in on this one Joel!!!

I too have a very special 375 project going. I talked to many people and found out something crazy...many 375's are being built on 1:9 twists. From what I'm hearing it's the bees knees for the guys shooting the heavier bullets. I was truly shocked. Have any of you heard this as well???

My 375 rum is a 1-12 twist and is just right for the 350 smk at 2700.

When you talk about extended long range and a 375 cheytac imp you might as well have the ability to shoot all the best high BC offering out there. I've just received a 40 inch gain twist 12-7 which should allow me to shoot most anything out there at the moment and the 40 inch length should maximize velocities.

We're running a 375 Snipe Tac that we built with a 32" 9 twist, T5 terminator brake and a McCree 408 Chassis. It's running at 3250 with the 350 Match Kings and we plan on using the GS 414s as well.

at 25lbs it recoils as if a 308

Very soon we will have a 375 VM2 running a 35" 16-7.7 gain twist in a McMillan A5 Supermag.

Both Bartlein barrels

Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 122
Like others said, you may want to figure out what bullets you really want to run and then decide on your twist. My 375 BME (RUM improved) has a 10 twist Brux specifically for the 350 MK and it shoots great out as far as I've shot it (2365 yards) but performance of the 350+ solids drop off before they get to 1000 yards.

If you want to run the heavy solids you may as well hold out for a gain twist barrel. If you're going to run mostly 350 MKs then I think a 10 or 9 twist would be fine. I think Pacnor makes an 8 twist which may be worth looking at as well.

Andrew

I havent got experience with 408 based cases, but on the smaller cases i shoot better with a suppressor than i do with a brake, even though theoretically the recoil should be less than with a good brake. Guess I am more sensitive to the concussion than I am the recoil.

Is Bartlein still doing gain twist? Thought i read they quit that. Do the solids benefit from a gain twist over a conventinal tight twist?

I am really interested in the 375 as well. Cant really justify it simce I cant shoot much over a 1000 where I am, but since when does that have to do with anything lol.

What bullets do yall recommend for the op? Whats the best bc target projectile out there in 375?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts