would like your help

last meal

hi, ive read many post and done searches, but would like your input. im lookin into getting a remington 700, i want to use it for long range hunts for white tail, hogs, elk,ect.. but also for long range shooting in general ( atleast up to 500 yrds). i was looking at getting the .308 or the 300 win mag, but now im also considering the 30-06. i know the 300 has a good kick that doesnt bother me, and am not sure if the .308 would be strong enough to put down a deer at 400 yrds. would like your advice on these 3 guns before i buy one.

thanks in advance.

-ryann

I don't know anything about the 308 and not much more about the 300 except for the fact my son shoots one and from watching and hearing the stories it would be a good choice. I know a lot about the 30-06 as I have been shooting one for many years. They will put a mature bull down quite readily up to 400 yards with the right load and good shot placement. Mule deer out to 700 with everything being good. I try to keep my shooting within 500 yards with that rifle. I'm very comfortable within that range.

Ryann,
Any of the calibers you mentioned are fine for almost anything out to 500 with the right bullet and load combination. If you decide down the road to extend you ranges the .300 Win Mag may be a better choice for you, as you will be able to shoot the heavier bullets (200g +) which will carry lots of energy and still keep velocities high. A .300 Win Mag loaded with 208g. A-Max (.648 BC) with a velocity of 3000 fps will still carry around 1100 ft/lbs energy at 1200 yards. Anything under 1000 yards is in for a world of hurt too. But remember to shoot long range accurately and consistently the load has to perform exceedingly well with a very low Standadrd Deviation (SD). Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.