Build my new rifle....

I have a 6.5 x 280 AI. It is deadly accurate, fun and easy to build bullets (if you are a reloader). I also have (had , but gave my son) 280 AI. single shot which my all time favorite. Over 150 kills w/1 shot. just sayin
Actions such as the Curtis Axiom Bighorn etc Ag has the cnc pattern that they cut your action and barrel channel such as sendero sendero light very precise glass the lug if you want but isnt necessary I ordered one on a 6.5 prc build pre fit barrels work on those close tolerance actions Straight Jacket Armory did my barrel work with a West tx Switch lug 26 in proof I can change to any cal in afew min Ag stock proof barrel west Tx switch lug Diamond tech trigger Curtis or Hawkins bottom metal you have a versatile acc rifle

If you want 6 1/2 mm and you have a standard bolt face , And you don't seem to mind Wildcats, then why not a 6.5/06 AI. That would give you something 6.5 that puts most others to shame, and it's different, right up your alley
CYI: I am wondering how you are going to get all these parts to build a rifle in this short amount of time. Unless you have all the parts on hand.
Bartlein barrels are something like 4 months out to start with. The other items, I am sure it will take some time to get also. A gunsmith will take awhile too after that unless you can do your own smithing. Something to think about.
You might look at 6.5x 280AI too. The 280AI case has a little more room for powder. That will take a reamer to be built too.

CYI: I am wondering how you are going to get all these parts to build a rifle in this short amount of time. Unless you have all the parts on hand.
Bartlein barrels are something like 4 months out to start with. The other items, I am sure it will take some time to get also. A gunsmith will take awhile too after that unless you can do your own smithing. Something to think about.
You might look at 6.5x 280AI too. The 280AI case has a little more room for powder. That will take a reamer to be built too.
If your going too use Bartlein send them your action and let them do the work I sent them a pre64 win mod 70 and they barrelled it 6.5 prc 1-7.5 twist 25 in long action works great

I'm liking the idea of an AG stock....what is their lead time like? Do they do any custom work like a Henderson ARCA rail install?

Any thoughts about the practical accuracy difference between a #3, #4 or #5 contour barrel. I have a Rem varmint that seems a bit heavy to hunt with. I have a rifle built on a Brux #3 that I haven't handled yet. Any thoughts about barrel contour? I'm thinking Brux #4 or a #5. I'm not a fan of wrapped barrels....call me old fashioned.

Any thoughts about the practical accuracy difference between a #3, #4 or #5 contour barrel. I have a Rem varmint that seems a bit heavy to hunt with. I have a rifle built on a Brux #3 that I haven't handled yet. Any thoughts about barrel contour? I'm thinking Brux #4 or a #5. I'm not a fan of wrapped barrels....call me old fashioned.
Ive got one proof and love it but all my others are old fashion as far as contour heavier the better for a cary rifle go as light as you can without sacrificeing accuracy

What about the "OLD" standard, 270 win? Light pills for ground pigs, little bit heavier for White tail or Mule Deer. And even a bit heavier for Elk, Moose! About everything in North America has been hunted and Killed with the 270.

if you want match grade accuracy go proof carbon fiber for light hunting carry

What about the "OLD" standard, 270 win? Light pills for ground pigs, little bit heavier for White tail or Mule Deer. And even a bit heavier for Elk, Moose! About everything in North America has been hunted and Killed with the 270.
Agree with THIS ^^^ the .270 Win , .270 WSM and 7mm-08, will all, get the "Job" DONE with, LESS Recoil for, Deer / Antelope
And are, "Plenty" good for, Elk, too ( with, the "right" Bullet ! ) and good,.. shot placement ! We got our Elk with, the 7-08 and WSM !

The AG stocks are some of the highest quality stocks available. They're right up there with Manners and McMillan. We use a lot of them for builds and they're excellent. We haven't had a bad one or a complaint. I don't know the lead times off the top of my head, but they're faster than some of the other bigger names. They're also very durable and light weight. They're a step above B&C in my opinion.

For barrel contour, how heavy do you want the rifle to be? For a general purpose hunting rifle, I don't like a barrel much heavier than a Bartlein #3 or Brux #4. Those are both around 0.670" at the muzzle at 26". That's as heavy as I like for something you want to pack around all day and still be able to shoot it comfortably out to 700+ yards. I have two rifles with with Remington Sendero/Varmint contours and they are too heavy for my taste to pack around. They are both around 10.5-11lbs scoped. My rifle with a Bartlein #3 weighs 9lbs with a heavy laminate stock. The AG Alpine Hunter with a Bartlein #3 or Brux #4 will be about 8-8.5lbs scoped. To me that's a solid general purpose hunting rifle. If your goal is lighter, than go with a Bartlein #2 or 2B or a Brux #3 that is fluted or a carbon barrel. You don't have to go with Bartlein or Brux, I'm just using their contours for examples. Most barrel makers make excellent products. Make sure to compare their contours to others to make sure you get what you want because the contours can get confusing.

100% it would be a 270 wsm fast twist or 270 Sherman fast twist. Something a little different
I'm basicaly good with that, except it is just too close to the 300 Sherman....and I'm lookin for longer range.

For barrel contour, how heavy do you want the rifle to be?
I think I want 10.5 - 11.5lbs with a 2lb scope. So, that is probably:
action,trigger,bottom metal - 2.5 lb
stock - 2.5 lb
barrel - 4 lb
scope - 2

This is what I'm thinking.....while a 4.5lb barrel is possible left, I'd have to do a ti brake, and might have to weight the stock unless barrel weight is at the rear.