Build my new rifle....

I think you have mid to big covered and with a long action, I'm thinking a fast twist 6 Rem AI with a 7.5 twist. Can shoot from 58 grain all the way to 115 gr. Be an awesome antelope/deer rifle, mild recoil and yet still different.

Steve
6-06AI too....scream them out!

I think you have mid to big covered and with a long action, I'm thinking a fast twist 6 Rem AI with a 7.5 twist. Can shoot from 58 grain all the way to 115 gr. Be an awesome antelope/deer rifle, mild recoil and yet still different.

Steve
Or go full overbore...6mm-06 ai or perhaps enter new territory with a 6mm-6.5 weatherby rpm! The big 6s are intriguing and mysteriously absent as factory cartridges.

Could try a 6.5 Sherman if you don't mind brass prep. Mine shoots 140 Berger's at 3339 FPS with N570. Impressive with a 270 Win as a parent case. Got some 123 AH to try in it when I find some R23. Bet I can those screaming fast.

If you feel you feel the .280 Ackley would be redundant, and you're looking for something smaller, you received some good suggestions , in particular the 6.5mm x 284. Others you might look at might be the 25 x 284, the 25/06 or the 25/06 Ackley. Then there's the .257 Ackley Improved. No one has mentioned the quarter bores, so I thought I would. With the proper twist and bullet, any of those would be strong antelope/mule/whitetail rounds.

If you want a 6.5 then I would choose the 6.5x284. It's an excellent long range cartridge that is often overlooked nowadays for newer offerings. It will work with your action and provide excellent ballistics.

Stock: AG Alpine Hunter

How do I choose between the AG Alpine Hunter, AG Adjustable Hunter, B&C Long Range Hunter, B&C target/competition M5 bottom metal, Grayboe ridgeback, KRG Bravo, etc

im feeling pretty set on the 6.5-06AI, 6.5x280ai or 6.5 Sherman.....or maybe 6.5 RPM if it becomes available before I pull the trigger.

Last edited:
If you feel you feel the .280 Ackley would be redundant, and you're looking for something smaller, you received some good suggestions , in particular the 6.5mm x 284. Others you might look at might be the 25 x 284, the 25/06 or the 25/06 Ackley. Then there's the .257 Ackley Improved. No one has mentioned the quarter bores, so I thought I would. With the proper twist and bullet, any of those would be strong antelope/mule/whitetail rounds.
Good suggestion shortgrass. I'm really enjoying my 25-284. Those 131 BJ are a slippery and accurate bullet.
How do I choose between the AG Alpine Hunter, AG Adjustable Hunter, B&C Long Range Hunter, B&C target/competition M5 bottom metal, Grayboe ridgeback, KRG Bravo, etc

im feeling pretty set on the 6.5x280ai or 6.5 Sherman.....or maybe 6.5 RPM if it becomes available before I pull the trigger.
You cant go wrong with either ag stocks guality wise way above the B and C Ag composites are veteran owned and are making stocks for Weatherby Springfield etc the Springfield Waypoint has there stock on it I put a Alpine hunter on a Curtis Axiom thats the only stock I have that I havnt bedded because it shoots one hole most of the time they offer a lot of diff colors and camo patterns great people to deal with call em up

I'm torn and on no particular deadline, so I'm the community for help spec' it a new build. I hunt mostly mule deer in open country in Montana. I've been known to hunt Antelope and really want to try a walk in backcountry elk hunt.

I have a full selection of calibers: 350 Legend, 6.5x55, 300 Sherman, 300 WSM, and 458 Lott. I'm thinking sell the 300 WSM and/or the 6.5x55 to fund this build.

The only thing I have for the build is a Bighorn Long Action with std bolt face on order and a Timney HVR trigger. As a side note, bolt faces are interchangeable on this action.

Given that, what are the logical builds? If the 300 Sherman is the elk/big rifle, where do I go below that?....or do I get a bigger 30 like a 30 Sherman Magnum? Smaller is nice as it would be better to try some local PRS stuff, but it still needs to be able to take a long reach Antelope...

Help me spec this build....I feel like caliber needs set first, but maybe I should be thinking stock first due to lead time.
if for hike in light weight elk speed goat moose try this stock https://www.grayboe.com/products/trekker and cal I would do a 6.5 PRC with a proof carbon fiber barrel all ready chambered and ready to go just head space gauges and do it your self at home ;load for it or factory ammo

If your thinking 6.5 I would go with a 6.5-280 ackley
I have a 6.5 x 280 AI. It is deadly accurate, fun and easy to build bullets (if you are a reloader). I also have (had , but gave my son) 280 AI. single shot which my all time favorite. Over 150 kills w/1 shot. just sayin

I'm torn and on no particular deadline, so I'm the community for help spec' it a new build. I hunt mostly mule deer in open country in Montana. I've been known to hunt Antelope and really want to try a walk in backcountry elk hunt.

I have a full selection of calibers: 350 Legend, 6.5x55, 300 Sherman, 300 WSM, and 458 Lott. I'm thinking sell the 300 WSM and/or the 6.5x55 to fund this build.

The only thing I have for the build is a Bighorn Long Action with std bolt face on order and a Timney HVR trigger. As a side note, bolt faces are interchangeable on this action.

Given that, what are the logical builds? If the 300 Sherman is the elk/big rifle, where do I go below that?....or do I get a bigger 30 like a 30 Sherman Magnum? Smaller is nice as it would be better to try some local PRS stuff, but it still needs to be able to take a long reach Antelope...

Help me spec this build....I feel like caliber needs set first, but maybe I should be thinking stock first due to lead time.
You mentioned the 6.5 rounds. Why not a 6.5 PRC or if you go Creedmoor 25 creed