Build my new rifle....

nksmfamjp

I'm torn and on no particular deadline, so I'm the community for help spec' it a new build. I hunt mostly mule deer in open country in Montana. I've been known to hunt Antelope and really want to try a walk in backcountry elk hunt.

I have a full selection of calibers: 350 Legend, 6.5x55, 300 Sherman, 300 WSM, and 458 Lott. I'm thinking sell the 300 WSM and/or the 6.5x55 to fund this build.

The only thing I have for the build is a Bighorn Long Action with std bolt face on order and a Timney HVR trigger. As a side note, bolt faces are interchangeable on this action.

Given that, what are the logical builds? If the 300 Sherman is the elk/big rifle, where do I go below that?....or do I get a bigger 30 like a 30 Sherman Magnum? Smaller is nice as it would be better to try some local PRS stuff, but it still needs to be able to take a long reach Antelope...

Help me spec this build....I feel like caliber needs set first, but maybe I should be thinking stock first due to lead time.

For deer and antelope with the occasional elk, I think something 7mm would be my choice. I think I would do one of the three, .284 Win, .280 Ackley, or 7mm Rem Mag. Below are the specs I would choose.

Barrel: Bartlein #3 1-8 twist 26" or any premium barrel with similar contour and twist.

Stock: AG Alpine Hunter or McMillan Hunter

Bottom metal: Hawkins BDL

Scope Rings: Hawkins Hybrid rings

Muzzlebrake: Hawkins 3 port

What you're wanting for a hunting caliber won't cross over great for prs,
But a 7saw or something along those lines like a 7-08ai, 284, 280ai, might serve best.
I have a 1:8 7rem mag, proof barrel, pretty much use it for all my big game hunting, a 180hybrid at 3050fps is wicked ballistically and on game

With the standard bolt face long action I might go plain vanilla 270 Winchester BUT with an aggressive enough twist for the new and not so new crop of heavy high bc bullets (175 tgk, 165 ablr, 170 eol, 180 woodleigh - just stable in a 1:10 but accuracy very sub par - 156 hammer, and others)

fully aware this still won't do anything the aforementioned 280 rem won't do but it's something a bit different and I'm a biased 270 guy so...

Interesting ideas. You guys seem sold on 7's. I'm thinking most likely a 6.5 something not named Creedmoor!

Why a 7 when I have a 30 for hunting? To me, 300 Sherman, 280 AI, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 WSM are nearly the same thing...

Maybe 28 Nosler...or 6.5 rpm?

My son shoots, a 7mm-08 with, 168 Berger, HVLD's and StaBall 65 Powder at, almost 2,800 FPS getting groups from, 3/8" to 5/8th inch dia and the Load will produce almost, 2,000 FPS at, 800 Yards ( sufficient to, open up a Berger ).
I presently shoot, a .270 WSM with, Accubonds at, 3,150 and soon will be, testing Berger's 140 Classic Hunters at, 3,200 FPS muzzle,..
again about, 2,000 FPS at 800 yards ! No plans, to shoot that far but, NICE to know that, we can make shots to, 650- 750 yds Prone, over a Pack and to 350 sitting with, "Sticks" ! Personally, we like, .270 to 7mm, Minimum for, Elk / Moose and shoot for, the "Boiler Room".
We want to, "scramble" the Heart / Lungs and stay away from, Shoulder Roasts and Back strap, Steaks !
We've went to,.. "the Dark side" with,. Berger's, in these Calibers ! The 6.5 PRC, has enough "Horse Power" with 140's, too !
We practice, "Field positions" on Steel, a LOT during, the Spring and Summer Months and LIKE these Lighter recoiling Cartridges as, using NO Brake and we shoot, a lot of Ammo ! Good luck with, your Choice !

I'm torn and on no particular deadline, so I'm the community for help spec' it a new build. I hunt mostly mule deer in open country in Montana. I've been known to hunt Antelope and really want to try a walk in backcountry elk hunt.

I have a full selection of calibers: 350 Legend, 6.5x55, 300 Sherman, 300 WSM, and 458 Lott. I'm thinking sell the 300 WSM and/or the 6.5x55 to fund this build.

The only thing I have for the build is a Bighorn Long Action with std bolt face on order and a Timney HVR trigger. As a side note, bolt faces are interchangeable on this action.

Given that, what are the logical builds? If the 300 Sherman is the elk/big rifle, where do I go below that?....or do I get a bigger 30 like a 30 Sherman Magnum? Smaller is nice as it would be better to try some local PRS stuff, but it still needs to be able to take a long reach Antelope...

Help me spec this build....I feel like caliber needs set first, but maybe I should be thinking stock first due to lead time.
I've been thinking of a reply for this all day. A lot going on here. First, you seem to have everything covered already with what you have, but that doesn't help you use up that fancy new action, haha. If you're missing anything in your current lineup, it's something in .277 caliber.

IF you get rid of one rifle, I would lose the 300wsm. You have a great .30 in that Sherman already. If you're getting rid of only one, I would not get rid of the 6.5x55...that one's a classic as well and will cover your needs on its own. To replace it, I don't see how you could go wrong for mulies and lopes with a good 'ole .270 Winchester. It's the first cartridge I ever fell in love with, which makes me like millions of other people out there. Or, since you're not opposed to wildcats, I would go 270 Sherman...then you'd have two Shermans and that would be cool.

If you replace both the 300wsm and the 6.5x55, then I would get another 6.5 but, you guessed it, the Sherman. Honestly, though, if you can cover the remaining build costs by moving only the 300wsm, I would do that, keep the 6.5x55, and build a 270 Winchester or Sherman.

Good luck- you're the fun stages for sure!

The .270 WSM is, a "Lazer" and GOOD ammo IS, avail,.. IF not, a Handloader !
It will work for Deer and Elk / Moose !
Agree with getting rid of, the .300 WSM as too much Recoil to Practice with and Bench shoot !

I agree with the LA standard bolt face recommendations of a 6.5-.284 Norma or .280AI. Maybe a 6.5-06AI if you don't need headstamped brass and don't mind forming a wildcat.

A fast 1:7.5" twist 6.5mm will run up to a 156, which is plenty for elk, and you can load up some 130s at blistering speeds for pronghorn, or a 140-147 for everything between.

A .280AI pushing a 160-180 will smoke anything in NA, but might be a little light for the big bears. We have taken deer and elk with mine with authority.