Budget long range deer gun

I am currently working on my second DIY savage build up. Both are chambered in 280 Ackley, have Boyd's laminated stocks, PacNor barrels with JP brakes and RifleBasix triggers. Fun to build, very satisfying to shoot.

Attachments

• Completion! 001.JPG
    Completion! 001.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 93
I am currently working on my second DIY savage build up. Both are chambered in 280 Ackley, have Boyd's laminated stocks, PacNor barrels with JP brakes and RifleBasix triggers. Fun to build, very satisfying to shoot.

[ame]https://youtu.be/AfZ2jO-b8tE?t=1[/ame]

How do you like the JP Beenie Cooley brake? I love mine on my .270 AI.

Attachments

• Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 73

Great looking rifle! And I always like I see a box of Lapua brass in a nice gun pic.......

But I have to question; why is there a naked man on your calendar? :rolleyes:

I think they do a fine job for the money. I have three (working, the fourth still building) so far: 6.5/284, 6.5 creed, and the 280AIs. None of these are killer recoiler to begin with, but with the brakes they move very little. I have some video of the little creed without and later with the brake. I never thought much about recoil with that rifle, but SEEING is believing...

These brakes are also fairly easy to clean, unlike some with smaller openings.

Look closer, it ain't a man.... Unless you are looking at John Wayne....

Ha! Must be some coloring in the background behind her. Makes it look like she's got a big ol bicep! At least viewing it on a forum it does...

Just was giving you a hard time. My original comment still stands, great looking Savage!

Thanks on the gun. Blame Jerry Teo, it was his article on this site that made me do it. This year's project will be the same mechanically, I haven't decided on a paint job yet. The calendar is artwork by Boris and Julie Vallejo. His drawings were on a great many paperback covers of sci-fi novels when I was in college a million years ago. You are right, the girl is pretty muscular, but not in a bad way... also you find a lot of swords, dragons, space ships and other silly stuff in their pictures. Helps me remember I wasn't always old and worn out...

When picking your scope do you guys like the first focal plane or second focal plane

I prefer 2nd focal, as I have a range finder and don't have anywhere to really shoot past 1K around here. I have 1 FFP, and all the rest are 2FP...But a lot of guys who use their scopes for range-finding and ELR prefer FFP.

If you're looking for an excellent scope for everything from close range out to 1K, then these are the 2 suggestions I have.

Vortex 6-24x50 Viper HS-T 30mm Rifle Scope | SWFA

SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope | SWFA

That's my first FFP scope, I kinda like the idea of being on 6x power, dial my dope and if I want a better view of what I'm shooting at I can just up power to whatever and not have to adjust the elevation. It's nice, but it cost ya!!!

It is a preference, my first scope for a LRR was the NF Velocity 1000 on my custom 300 RUM and love it. It is a SFP, but the PST has a Christmas tree reticle( EBR-2C) in MOA. So you can use it to range and use points of the reticle to shoot your targets or for hunting. But if your using it for mainly hunting, I think SFP is easier for that application. But, like I said it's a preference.

All of my scopes are SFPs except for my last two purchase, Burris Veracity 4-20x50 FFP and SWFA 5-25x50 HD FFP and I'm really liking it thus far. This too, boils down to personal preference.

Hey Feenix, is it the SWFA 5-20x50 model for around $1,300? I really like everything about my fixed power SWFA. I hear so much about Vortex I'm leaning that direction for my next scope. But it wouldn't hurt my feelings any to get another SWFA, that's for sure.

In your opinion, how does it compare to other scopes for around the same money?

Thanks. I appreciate your opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.