Budget long range deer gun

codyarnold

Hey guys,

So I'm looking to build my first 1000 yard rifle was looking for some imput to get me started what caliber make of rifle and scope would you guys pick or use. Im not looking to break the bank on this build. And input would be very helpful

Not sure what your budget is but if you want to go real cheap you could go to your local waly-world and get a 700ADL and sell all the factory-take-off parts on Ebay.... or if your not in a big hurry just keep and eye on the classifieds on this sight sometimes actions come up for sale quite reasonably priced.

Not sure what your budget is but if you want to go real cheap you could go to your local waly-world and get a 700ADL and sell all the factory-take-off parts on Ebay.... or if your not in a big hurry just keep and eye on the classifieds on this sight sometimes actions come up for sale quite reasonably priced.

Yeah I would keep my eye on here but I live in bc can't shut guns or parts to Canada

Savage heavy barrel.....AccuTrigger....caliber?..308 if you don't currently reload, 260, 6.5-284Norma, .300WSM or WinMag if you do reload...I would throw in the 338Lapua but I don't think there's any "budget" associated with this round.
Nikon is the only scope that comes to mind when thinking budget and still perform out to 1K....I used a BuckMaster 6-18x40 on my .300WinMag and it performed flawlessly in this area. This scope runs under $400 but you get what you pay for with optics.
Makes no sense to buy a new rifle and tear it up.....buy the Savage...chances are it'll shoot better than most men or machines....if you decide to swap the barrel, YOU can do it and not have to pay someone else. The AccuTrigger is more than sufficient for 1K shooting, user friendly and adjustable. I will also add that the factory barrels on Savage rifles, IMO, are very good. The last one I bought needed no break-in whatsoever. The first 100yd, 3-shot group measured .346" and the last 3-shot group at 1500yds, two weeks ago measured 10".
All the "other" rifles I have owned needed more rounds down the barrel, with lots of cleaning, for barrel break-in and the triggers had to be worked over, adjusted a lot or replaced.
"Purty is as purty does". My money's on Savage. JohnnyK.

Savage heavy barrel.....AccuTrigger....caliber?..308 if you don't currently reload, 260, 6.5-284Norma, .300WSM or WinMag if you do reload...I would throw in the 338Lapua but I don't think there's any "budget" associated with this round.
Nikon is the only scope that comes to mind when thinking budget and still perform out to 1K....I used a BuckMaster 6-18x40 on my .300WinMag and it performed flawlessly in this area. This scope runs under $400 but you get what you pay for with optics.
Makes no sense to buy a new rifle and tear it up.....buy the Savage...chances are it'll shoot better than most men or machines....if you decide to swap the barrel, YOU can do it and not have to pay someone else. The AccuTrigger is more than sufficient for 1K shooting, user friendly and adjustable. I will also add that the factory barrels on Savage rifles, IMO, are very good. The last one I bought needed no break-in whatsoever. The first 100yd, 3-shot group measured .346" and the last 3-shot group at 1500yds, two weeks ago measured 10".
All the "other" rifles I have owned needed more rounds down the barrel, with lots of cleaning, for barrel break-in and the triggers had to be worked over, adjusted a lot or replaced.

lightbulbYou Sir is a very wiseman!lightbulb

I've never been a savage kind of guy always shot a Remington but hey I love imput what savage do you shoot for long range do you recommend a longer barrel than a shorter one

I've never been a savage kind of guy always shot a Remington but hey I love imput what savage do you shoot for long range do you recommend a longer barrel than a shorter one

"Most" LRH members prefer 26" inch minimum on barrel lengths for LRs. I have a 30" Lilja barrel on my Savage 110 LA .270 AI. Current accuracy load is with 175 Matrix VLD at 2993 FPS (I have come close with 3100 FPS but with pressures I can do without and it also start opening up the group) with 58g H4831SC.

Here's a couple of factory Savage rifles in action afield ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/TVMCBEe0E_4?t=11[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/cYOTKrYhvZA?t=17[/ame]

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.