Brux barrels

Have built six rifles with Brux. ALL are tackdrivers. IIRC, the 1000 yard 5 shot record is held by a Brux barreled rifle. Southern Precision Rifles has them in stock.

I use Brux primarily with a Bartlien or Rock Creek mixed in. Only Kreiger I ever owned was a 6.5x47 tomato stake....it'll be a while before I have another one.

IT COMES DOWN TO WHO LIKES YOU: I don't have the experience of mutiple custom barrels and have only had 3. 2- Douglas XX and a just took delivery on a Wilson stainless from Ragged hole barrels (which I understand from Raggedhole Barrels that sell Wilson barrels are what Cooper rifles uses) in 6.5-06 that I have not taken over to the GS yet.

All my Douglas barrels (all 2 of them) give me exceptional accuracy depending on my heart rhythms that day and my eye sight using contact lenses. My premise is this: Since no one out there seems to not have the time or money to take the exact same receiver, the exact same barrel length, countour, caliber, bullet type, brass blah, blah, blah and shoot a side by side comparision of the top 20 barrel manufacturers, over say 500 rounds in the same weather conditions or lets say even in an underground pipe free from air currents, HOW does any one REALLY know which is the better manufacturer?

They are all good to a point. It's like polishing your cannon balls. There is a point of dimenishing returns.

Can you get one from any manufacturer that is flawed? Sure. It happens in all manufacturing.
Ever owned a late 70's or 80's car?

Oh, and let's not forget the thousands that are sold to happy customers but you only hear the one or two bad stories about a certain manufacturer. Remember this stat. If you have a good experience you might tell one or two people, but if you have a bad experience a person will go out of their way to tell ten people.

A rifle barrel by any manufacturer is just so good. What if you had the best barrell ever made from the metal of a dying Star personally autographed by Thor himself and the hole drilled by laser beam for straightness and still loss a competition because your eyes watered up on the last shot?

It's been said golf clubs are only 10% of the game. How much does your ability and technique make a barrel any better or worse?

How many times have you heard this barrel was better than that one because of some competitons that are being won with a certain brand. But weren't they saying the same thing about a different brand 5 or 10 years earlier in some cases? What changed? The shooters ability, technology, better materials, better hand loads, they had the right combination that day for the weather, airpressures, humidity etc. or the person just had a better day and won by a fractional margin so small you couldn't slide a razor blade between the differences.

It boils down to what you like. What you've been told is good, what some gun writer got paid to write about, the last competition that was won by a different person this year than the last 10 years and they used a Shilen instead of a Hart or Kreiger.

Maybe the shooter practiced more.

Maybe they had a good day that day, and only difference in the win was mere fractions of an inch - you never see the second and third place shooters targets do you?

Is it really the barrel or do you just want a certain brand because you think it is better. SO really, it more about marketing , word of mouth, perception and reality. you might get the Bruxton and a guy with an off the shelf new Savage precison rifle waxes everbody else.

Like Kojack said " Who loves ya baby?"

Last edited:
Have two and am extremely happy with them. Last couple builds were with Bartlien's as that what my current smith prefers, but I'm sure there are more Brux's in my future.

need few new barrels for rifles ive personally never heard much about these guys what are your thoughts? im staying away from carbon at the moment due to hunts closing in and cost. thanks in advance.

Brayden
I switched to Brux years ago. They all shot very good. My son and I shoot 1000 yds benchrest and I have shot 2 sub 4" groups with a 100 score and that is 10 shot groups. I personally have seen my 16 yr old son shoot 5 shot groups at 1000 yds testing back to back with the biggest group 2.5" and the smallest 1". I am not afraid to say that they shoot well.