BROWNING X-BOLT LONG RANGE 300 RUM 1/8 TWIST

A girlfriend that gifts you with something like this seems like wife material haha…not minding your business just sayin'….

I've eyed up this exact rifle myself a few times. It ain't in the budget any time soon but it's something I'm seriously considering saving towards. It pleasantly surprised me to see a factory stock rifle in 300 rum with an 8 twist.

Hey whats up guys !!

I got gifted by my girlfriend a Browning Xbolt Long range chambered in 300 rum, I mounted it with a vx6 4x24x52 leupold scope. Im having a hard time getting a good group, tried the sirocco 180gr, the eldx 220gr, the corelokt 180gr and neither shoots well, these are all factory amunition, getting groups 2 to 3 inch at 100 yards and 4 to 6 inch at 200yards.

Its after that I realised that the twist rate is 1/8 !!! im not a pro but did some research on the net and saw that an 1/8 twist in a 300 rum i should go 230gr and beyond.

My last rum was a 1/10 twist remington, so never had to deal with this...

Being from Montreal, Canada bullets supply are hard to find so i think im going to have to reload my own bullets which is something new for me or sell the gun and get my girl ****ed at me for a couple of weeks :)

I know there is the new A-Tip bullets 250gr from hornady, should i go with it ? but is it good for hunting too ?

Did any of you had experience with 300 rum Xbolt long range ? or do you guys have any tips ?

Thanks !!
What have you shot before this? What is your go to gun? Do you have a friend that can reload or co-worker. Next best thing for sure though....move to a good province like Alberta! Better bullet selections here!

That recommended twist is the Minimum you should run. Faster (lower number) is great just not slower. Personally I'd rather have the 1:8 twist than 1:10. Try some Bergers, Hornady ELD-M or X or solids in heavier weights.

And, welcome to the forum!
👆👆 100% my recommendation too. Also as mentioned check for stock bedding issues. 1 in 8 isn't likely the issue!

I don't find the RUM to be a heavy recoiling beast as the interwebs suggests…I found mine quite snappy but not unpleasant.
A Barnes LRX is the best bet with a fast twist or the Nosler 210g ABLR.
Have shot both in fast twist barrels and they work very very well.

Cheers.

Hopefully it's not the case with yours, but I had a Browning just like yours only in .300 WM. It was the worst shooting gun I've ever owned. I spent over $600 on components trying to get ANYTHING to shoot, Nope. Ended up having to send it off for a new barrel. Good luck!!

Hopefully it's not the case with yours, but I had a Browning just like yours only in .300 WM. It was the worst shooting gun I've ever owned. I spent over $600 on components trying to get ANYTHING to shoot, Nope. Ended up having to send it off for a new barrel. Good luck!!
Two bad experiences in a row (in one thread that is) on a gun that not everyone and their dog owns is enough to raise a bit of a red flag for me. Especially as I have yet to hear any glowing reports or reports of any kind besides these ones. I'll save my funds for something else and consider this a possible bullet dodged.

Are you cleaning your barrel between running all these different bullets? I always start clean when switching bullets. Also if you didn't break the barrel in it's probably going to calm down and some and start grouping. Clean the barrel and start fresh. When you switch bullets clean and start fresh also.
Follow a good break in procedure for the first 30 rounds. Factory barrels can take longer than custom barrels so be patient. This break in will help a lot in accuracy later. If you can look for premium ammo such as Berger etc. Your Rum will prefer heavier for caliber bullets

I don't find the RUM to be a heavy recoiling beast as the interwebs suggests…I found mine quite snappy but not unpleasant.
A Barnes LRX is the best bet with a fast twist or the Nosler 210g ABLR.
Have shot both in fast twist barrels and they work very very well.

Cheers.
Nor do I, and mine weighs 9.5lb loaded for hunting. When I started shooting past 500yds often I tried a buddies with a brake and it helped noticeably. I added a brake and love it for very long range and HATE THEM for under while hunting animals I would eat.

Hey whats up guys !!

I got gifted by my girlfriend a Browning Xbolt Long range chambered in 300 rum, I mounted it with a vx6 4x24x52 leupold scope. Im having a hard time getting a good group, tried the sirocco 180gr, the eldx 220gr, the corelokt 180gr and neither shoots well, these are all factory amunition, getting groups 2 to 3 inch at 100 yards and 4 to 6 inch at 200yards.

Its after that I realised that the twist rate is 1/8 !!! im not a pro but did some research on the net and saw that an 1/8 twist in a 300 rum i should go 230gr and beyond.

My last rum was a 1/10 twist remington, so never had to deal with this...

Being from Montreal, Canada bullets supply are hard to find so i think im going to have to reload my own bullets which is something new for me or sell the gun and get my girl ****ed at me for a couple of weeks :)

I know there is the new A-Tip bullets 250gr from hornady, should i go with it ? but is it good for hunting too ?

Did any of you had experience with 300 rum Xbolt long range ? or do you guys have any tips ?

Thanks !!
Save your self a bunch of time and heartburn and load 200 grain regular AccuBonds in your 300 Rum. This combinations is well documented by searching LRH member posts. Have fun enjoying one of the best bullet combinations out there.

A whole bunch of LRH members find to an accurate big game load use of regular Accubond bullet in 200 grain is usually a winning ticket for a 300 rum. For second opinions on this tip search this site 300 rum 200 Accubond. As great as it is on elk it may not be your final choice but should help with the heartburn you are dealing with. Have fun!