Browning X-Bolt Long Range Hunter Review

kippmbolt

Hey All-

I've been reading LRH for many years but haven't really posted all that much. Over the past 6 months I decided to buy a dedicated LRH rifle for hunting, mostly whitetails, pronghorn and possible elk. I have spent a lot of time reading and researching and finally decided on a Browning X-Bolt Long Range Hunter in 270WSM.

I know from doing a lot of reading that most die-hard LRH folks are either Remington or Savage or Custom owners. I too have owned a few Remingtons and a Savage 10FP in 308. I have never laid down the cash for a true custom rifle, but maybe some day soon.

I understand all the advantages to the Remmy/Savage rifles when it comes to aftermarket parts/upgrades but there wasn't anything in either camp that really drew me.

My criteria was it had to be in the 8-10lbs fully outfitted, semi-flat shooting, and not too bad on recoil. The big magnums were not something I am really all that interested in.

I looked at 700P, 700SPS, 700 5R, Savage Long Range, and the Browning X-Bolt LRH. I obviously ended up with the X-Bolt.

The rifle is in 270WSM and wears a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x50. The stock rifle comes with a 26" medium weight barrel. The stock is the standard X-Bolt composite stock with dura-touch which i really like. Not the best stock in the world but seems to be fine for now.

I took it to the range yesterday with all factory ammo:
Winchester 150gr. BST
Federal 130gr Trophy Copper
Federal 140gr Trophy Bonded

All of it shot pretty well, around 1 MOA at 100 yards. The best was by far the Winchester. It was shooting around .5-.75" with the best group being .535".

Overall I really like this rifle. It shoots well, the recoil isn't terrible, and it is heavy enough but not too heavy. It has a few nice factory features such as a recessed target crown on the barrel and a bedded stock/action.

Enjoy the pics.

Browning makes great rifles. My A-Bolt Stainless Stalker is very similar to your X Bolt in both and design and accuracy. And the fit and finish is always top drawer with Browning.

Glad to hear of someone else with this rifle. It was a Shot Show exclusive and I have found very few reviews on it. I have the same one in 7mm. Mine loves the 160gr accubonds. Haven't done a ton of long range stuff with it yet. But it will very consistantly hold 1.5" groups at 300yd.

1407005037652.jpg
This is how mines currently setting.

kippmbolt

I had no experience with Browning rifles until recently when a friend bought an X-bolt in 300 Win Mag. We had it at the range recently and I was pretty surprised that something with a toothpick for a barrel could shoot everything that well. (To me barrels start at varmit contour and get heavier.) This Browning is also nicely balanced, works smoothly and the stock has some nice ergonomic features. If I didn't already have too many guns I'd probably be buying one. Also, your nailed it on chambering choice. The 270 WSM is just right. Plenty of power, high BC bullets and it won't beat you up. If I had to get rid of all my rifles and keep only one, I'd have a hard time letting go of the 270 WSM. I have one braked and one not braked and no you don't need the brake but it does give you a chance to spot your own shots. The only negative appears to be that the trigger can't be set light enough and there don't appear to be any good aftermarket triggers for the X-bolt. There was a smith selling lighter springs which solved the problem but he quit selling them due to the pain in the butt when people called him to ask how to install the spring. Still, you made a very good choice.

I am also a fan of the Browning X-bolt and have 2 of them, there is no way I would trade mine for a Remington 700 or a Savage.

That's one nice rifle and factory ammo groups well too.I can only imagin what tinkering with some reloading could get from a rifle that already shoots so well. I also have a Browning, Its an A Bolt composite stalker 30-06. With my reloads it shoots 1/4 to 3/8 inch groups @ 100yards. Brownings are great rifles , good hunting with yours! gun)

I like one shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot . Elmer Keith

According to the site, looks like a 1-10.
Kippmbolt , you said it is bedded, does that mean glass bedded or an Alum. bloce.
I would think this would make a good carry rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.