Browning x-bolt 6.5 creedmoor, help

What I suspect is that the barrel being laden with copper started to shoot off target . The OP made correcting adjustments with the Turrets, ( that's what I'd do). The more fouled the barrel became, the more the procedure of shooting off and correcting repeated, and repeated , and repeated. The Erector Tube is within the scope tube and holds the reticle. Adjustments are done with the Turret screws and springs pushing against the Erector Tube, moving it up, down, left and right. When the adjustments are Maxed Out in one direction, one spring is tight, while the other is loose. This leaves the Erector Tube able to move within the main scope tube, and possibly provide the scattering of shots we see in the OP's target picture. Not entirely the fault of the scope as the situation created by a fouled barrel over powered the adjustment components and capabilities of the scope..
Clean the Barrel. Recenter the reticle. Re-zero the rifle. If the group isn't restored , then send the scope in for maintenance.

I'm not an engineer. But using a mirror held tight against the Objective is a method to recenter the reticle, rezero the scope if you will.
MY Guess: The mirror reflects the reticle image back through the scope showing two reticles when viewed from the Ocular end. One is stationary as the engineers designed., the other, the reflected one, moves with adjustments. You can recenter the reticle by making adjustments holding the mirror against the objective until the moveable reticle merges with the stationary reticle. The Scope's power is on the Lowest Setting, the mirror is non-magnifying.

I guess you can center it up and bang it around a little and see if it stayed centered. Ive never tried the mirror trick.
Shep

I guess you can center it up and bang it around a little and see if it stayed centered. Ive never tried the mirror trick.
Shep
It can be a bit tedious to do. Holdin' the mirror, gettin' the right eye relief, allowin' enough light around the ocular to see clearly. Can't remember how long ago I found that , was on Leupold's site. Since then I use one of those polished stainless steel signal/survival mirrors for that purpose. I make note of the positions so if I have a mishap that may have caused a shift in the reticle , I have a reference.

I normally check my scopes by putting my barrel in my 5 inch vise and locking it all down tight. I sight it at a light pole across my field 250 yards away and then tap the barrel with my plastic mallet. If the cross hairs stays put I call it good. I personally have had real good luck with scopes holding zero.
Shep

I normally check my scopes by putting my barrel in my 5 inch vise and locking it all down tight. I sight it at a light pole across my field 250 yards away and then tap the barrel with my plastic mallet. If the cross hairs stays put I call it good. I personally have had real good luck with scopes holding zero.
Shep
I'm stealing this test.. good idea

You will see your crosshair vibrate but it should stop and be right back where it was when you hit the barrel. I have leather lined wood pieces in my vise it really locks that barrel in with no damage. I do all my cleaning and work right in the vise.
Shep

I was just curious did the copper come out and the barrel get cleaned on this Browning? I have been watching this thread and have not seen anything on the barrel being copper free? As far as the Scope-- the jury is still out until the barrel is de-coppered.

I was just curious did the copper come out and the barrel get cleaned on this Browning? I have been watching this thread and have not seen anything on the barrel being copper free? As far as the Scope-- the jury is still out until the barrel is de-coppered.
The last entry by Wesg93 on this thread was Wednesday the 8th. Wrote that he was going to pick up some proper bore cleaner.
Probably take a while to get it clean and get shootin' , what with the holiday and all.

He could of got it to me I would clean it for him. Been bored stiff. Our main business was deemed non essential. State made us shut down.
Shep

You should be in WA State, government construction is ongoing, but private in non-essential. I guess our governor thinks covid-19 knows who is paying the bill, or maybe it is the union donations?

Alright guys I finally got some free time and went out to the far north side of the farm and put a few rounds through the browning after cleaning the hell out of it with hoppes elite foaming cleaner. Shot much better, had a pretty steady/strong wind and grouped at 200 yards again. Only got to shoot a few times, storm rolled in. But I believe the copper fouling was the culprit. Thanks everyone for all the support! 👍

Recent Posts