Browning BOSS settings

snookntarpon

Hey All,
I had my Browning Abolt reworked and cerakoted. Now I have no clue anymore where to start and I forgot where I had it set last time.

Called Browning and they say the sweet spots are 20 years old and i just need to start somewhere. They told me that with today's ammo i was on my own...

I am going to try 2 different ammo types for my 7mm rem mag:
Nosler TG 140 gr accubond
Federal 160Gr Barnes TSX

Any 7mag Abolt BOSS (ported) shooters that have tried this?
Any idea what would be a good starting point to tune it?
Thanks
SnT
PS: Browning lists their expired settings as 2.5 for a 140 gr bullet and 5.75 for a 160 gr bullet. both federal.

Hey All,
I had my Browning Abolt reworked and cerakoted. Now I have no clue anymore where to start and I forgot where I had it set last time.

Called Browning and they say the sweet spots are 20 years old and i just need to start somewhere. They told me that with today's ammo i was on my own...

I am going to try 2 different ammo types for my 7mm rem mag:
Nosler TG 140 gr accubond
Federal 160Gr Barnes TSX

Any 7mag Abolt BOSS (ported) shooters that have tried this?
Any idea what would be a good starting point to tune it?
Thanks
SnT
PS: Browning lists their expired settings as 2.5 for a 140 gr bullet and 5.75 for a 160 gr bullet. both federal.

What the boss does is change the harmonics buy moving the weight in or out. numbers mean very little and are different on each rifle.

The best way to tune it is with 3 shot groups and the ammo you want to use.

Screw it all the way in to start and after three shots, allow it to cool and clean it. start the next group
with 2 full turns out. see if the group gets better. if it does repeat the procedure after adding 2 more turns to the boss.

Keep doing this until accuracy falls off and then back up (Screw the boss back in to the point you got the best group.

Now, fine tune the boss for best results and you are done.

It sounds time consuming but it isn't.

Before the boss shooters used a turned weight threaded or slipped over the barrel and clamped tight to do the same thing , and adjusted the weight the same way.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks JE.

Done it many times before but that was years ago. My 3 brownies are tack drivers. all under 1/2"

But this one has the settings changed and i have new ammo. so i need to start from scratch. Problem is from past experiences, from zero to 10 (settings on the BOSS) the groups spread and come together several times. But one of thise tight groups will be tighter than all others. Changes happen in as little as every 0.1 setting changes, so I don't want to shoot 100 rounds. Sweet spots worked in the old days. Maybe still a good starting point...

In the past i got the spot in 10-20 rounds. My other 2 shoot .33 MOA and .46 MOA at 200 year after year with 160 gr partitions from federal. Bit want to get modernized with sleeker bullets now.

thanks
k

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts