Browning Bedding Job

just_jon

I picked up a new Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Max Long Range (280AI) this weekend and after pulling the stock this morning noticed gaps in the bedding in front of the recoil lug (see attached). Easy fix I thought. I taped the front and bottom of the recoil lug, but could not seat in stock dry without pushing off most of the tape. Looking for input on how best to proceed. Leave it as is and see how it shoots or bed without tape on the recoil lug.

9B4937BD-CAEB-4508-9443-A9E8B5B82D72.jpeg

I believe the tape is to leave the smallest gap in front of the recoil lug so the forces are impacted on the rear on firing and basically any backlass etc doesn't impact on the frontal area or even touch at anytime. You would not want it to bounce back in that millisecond the bullet is exiting the barrel.
It's disappointing when the bedding job has an air gap but it is probably better than it was.
Clean off the tape, glue etc. Clean release agent from the action and see how you feel about the fit.
If the range is easily accessible put the rifle together and try it.
The air pocket may not cause any concern.
Based only on my personal experience as a hobbyist or enthusiast whose done a few of my own.

I picked up a new Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Max Long Range (280AI) this weekend and after pulling the stock this morning noticed gaps in the bedding in front of the recoil lug (see attached). Easy fix I thought. I taped the front and bottom of the recoil lug, but could not seat in stock dry without pushing off most of the tape. Looking for input on how best to proceed. Leave it as is and see how it shoots or bed without tape on the recoil lug.

View attachment 453563
If you want to bed the lug is dremel out forward of the lug a quarter inch and bed it without taping the lug.

The 'bedding illustrated in your photograph is a thermal set type of epoxy. This has been used in factories for quite some time because it can be applied automatically with the barreled action pressed into place.

The air gaps in your bedding really won't have any impact on accuracy or performance. Factories do not use tape or any other form of spacing on a recoil lug since it would require hand application and cost way too much more in the back end costs.

Bedding, in general, provokes dozens of methods of applications since everyone seems to have a favorite in order to be different and considered to be an expert. Reality is that a few methods actually work as has been demonstrated by professional gunsmiths and shooters.

At one point, we received a pallet full of Winchester rifles in synthetic stocks with a purchase order to bed all of the barreled action back into those synthetic factory stocks. Each rifle had been factory bedded in this thermal set epoxy. None shot respectably. We bedded each one in Marine-Tex with the front, bottom and sides taped off for relief. All shot better than factory specs. I don't mention the accuracy on target since it was a factory barrel which we couldn't be responsible for.

Best accuracy has been shown to take place when the lug has no contact except for the back. But, far too many have different ideas and will stand behind their solution vehemently. So be it. Choose your procedure and have at it!

Read this article first though to see what really works:

https://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/stress-free-pillar-bedding/

I've posted this before and will continue to do so.

Enjoy!

:)

View attachment 453563
See how it shoots, if it's not gonna work needs to be ground out and re-done.

It seems to be tight, that's what you want.
I would not worry about the front of the lug. Yes it doesn't look professionally done. I think you will be fine. Shoot it, I bet it shoots great. Congratulations on a nice new rifle, 280ai, that's on my bucket list. 👍
Not to derail the thread but the .280a.i. has impressed me.
You can research it all and find the pros and cons but I felt it had good aspects for the potential velocity and ballistics.
As a hunter I'm not going to take full advantage of this but I like it and I know it's a happy medium between good ballistics and recoil with enough energy to hunt.

I had an XBolt new in the box….had trouble getting 1.5" groups. Went to the auto parts store and bought some plastigage that I placed between that bedding and the action. Yep, at least 0.002" gap between them. Don't know if that factory stuff shrinks after application or what, but the 2 weren't mated

Had my gunsmith skim coat it and it started shooting sub MOA.