Bringing my 300 Wea Mag out of mothballs

A word of caution when using Barnes data. Note that the O.A.L. for both TSX and TTSX is the same, yet the TTSX is much longer. Might end up with a locked up bolt. I tried to talk to Barnes about it, they insist they are right. Experience tells me they are NOT!
Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

Like when you chamber a round?

No, more like when you fire the round. The TTSX, same load, same O.A.L. will give you higher pressure, higher velocity, and if you are close to max with the TSX, the TTSX will lock up your bolt.

I guess that I'm lucky that (to my knowledge) there's no data from Barnes (or anyone else) for my cartridge …..makes you study things pretty carefully. memtb

I guess that I'm lucky that (to my knowledge) there's no data from Barnes (or anyone else) for my cartridge …..makes you study things pretty carefully. memtb
Starting in the middle and working my way up has been working for me. Only incident I had was when I "assumed" without paying close attention, that I could use the same load for a 180 TSX and TTSX in my 300WBY and same O.A.L. as Barnes data suggested. I knew I didn't think it through as I was pulling the trigger. Just locked up my bolt, but, once it cooled down, I was able to remove it, clean it. Rifle is shooting great again. Gotta love those MK V actions. I was also lucky I was not at max load for the TSX.

It's nice to see the velocities that can be had with the new Barnes' as compared to the old "no groove" Barnes X Bullet.

While my diameter is a bit larger than .308…. I was pretty stoked when I (accurately) reached 3100 with my 270 gr. LRX's. Should be a good hunt'n round! memtb

Starting in the middle and working my way up has been working for me. Only incident I had was when I "assumed" without paying close attention, that I could use the same load for a 180 TSX and TTSX in my 300WBY and same O.A.L. as Barnes data suggested. I knew I didn't think it through as I was pulling the trigger. Just locked up my bolt, but, once it cooled down, I was able to remove it, clean it. Rifle is shooting great again. Gotta love those MK V actions. I was also luck I was not at max load for the TSX.
Sorry to the op for the hijack…

So are you following Barnes seating suggestions…like seating 0.05" from jam?

Whoops, typo. 0.05"
you meant jump. I don't think I can get 0.05" in a Weatherby. I try to stick to C.O.A.L of 3.556 and max mag length. I only worked with one mono bullet, the Barnes 180 TSX/TTSX. in my WBY I had great luck with Nosler, 180 BT in my old 12 Twist, and 200 AB or PT in my modern ones. The Barnes 180TSX gives me the best groups, but never hunted with it.

Recent Posts